Do I need a heat lamp?

btruegs

Chirping
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Spokane WA
So I bought a heat lamp and extension cords and everything, and was wondering if i even need it for winter. Here in spokane at night during winter it can easily get below 0. I have 3 black asutralorps, 1 new hampshire red, and 1 dutch bantam. I read that chickens can get sick from going in and out of the coop if the coop is warm? Any help is appriciated,.

I've never heard that they can get sick if the coop is warm. If your coop is well ventilated, draft free, has dry, absorbent bedding and they have heated water then you don't need a heat lamp.

Either take them back or use them for brooding chicks. Your chickens are much better off in a well venilated, draft free coop. Heating the coop can be detrimental. If they're dependent on artificial heat and your power goes out, you have a bunch of chickens not adapted to cold weather. Going in and out can be uncomfortable for them, too. Imagine this. It's winter. You have on all of your cold-weather gear. You go outside and you're comfortable because you're dressed for the weather. Now come back in, but don't take off your coat, hat, gloves, scarf, ski pants or boots. Leave them on for a good hour or so. That's what it's like for your chickens. They can't take off their down coats. They are much more tolerant of cold than heat.

Either take them back or use them for brooding chicks. Your chickens are much better off in a well venilated, draft free coop. Heating the coop can be detrimental. If they're dependent on artificial heat and your power goes out, you have a bunch of chickens not adapted to cold weather. Going in and out can be uncomfortable for them, too. Imagine this. It's winter. You have on all of your cold-weather gear. You go outside and you're comfortable because you're dressed for the weather. Now come back in, but don't take off your coat, hat, gloves, scarf, ski pants or boots. Leave them on for a good hour or so. That's what it's like for your chickens. They can't take off their down coats. They are much more tolerant of cold than heat.
Good Information, thank you. will the dutch bantam be ok?

If they're dependent on artificial heat and your power goes out, you have a bunch of chickens not adapted to cold weather.

That 'temporary' scenario is no different then a mild winter that turns on a dime due to a polar vortex...

Sure keeping them at 90°F in the coop when it's 20°F in the run likely isn't good, but I fully beg to differ that keeping the coop at say 40°F to prevent water freezing and potential frost bite or providing an area where they can get a little warmth is going to cause them any detrimental adaptation issues... I keep my coop in the 40°s all winter and have no adaptation issues, and I don't have to worry about my peas getting frost bite...

I use a heated water dish so they have warmish water at all times, no supplemental heat in the coop. Have yet to see any serious frostbite. Raising chickens is like raising kids - there's lots of advice out there, we need to take what's best for our individual situation and make it work.

Back
Top Bottom