Do I need a run for free ranging flock?

If I can make one suggestion?
8x24 = 192 Sq ft. Perimeter is 64 linear foot.
16x16 = 256 sq ft. Perimeter is the same 64 linear foot.

If you mount a 4x4 in the middle of your 16x16 area, you not only have roof support, but using two 8' wide panels, you can now reconfigre the space in multiple ways. AND about 25% more space.

If I can make one suggestion?
8x24 = 192 Sq ft. Perimeter is 64 linear foot.
16x16 = 256 sq ft. Perimeter is the same 64 linear foot.

If you mount a 4x4 in the middle of your 16x16 area, you not only have roof support, but using two 8' wide panels, you can now reconfigre the space in multiple ways. AND about 25% more space.
Ah. Thats a brilliant idea! Thank you! I've been staring at these coop plans and working on it itself for the past 2 weeks in between work and snowstorms, the run ideas have been haphazardly thrown together, but seeing it in that regard makes more sense than my previous thought

I extreme free range. I prefer my chickens to roost in trees. I think its safer in the long term. I generally only use coops for breeding projects.

However, I’d still recommend having a coop and run for the same reason I’d recommend someone who has cattle to have a cattle chute. Having a way to contain or separate the flock can be useful.
I would love that, but with brutal winters, and some unusually strong summer storms the past couple years, my coop ends up being the safest spot for them:/ however, my 2 Bantam roos usually take several of their ladies to roost outside any chance they get, so even a small run is ideal for at least night here. The neighbor across the river had his flock nearly wiped out by a Mink this last fall, so unfortunately I have to be mindful of the many predators that I've caught on trail cams near the rivers edge

I would love that, but with brutal winters, and some unusually strong summer storms the past couple years, my coop ends up being the safest spot for them:/ however, my 2 Bantam roos usually take several of their ladies to roost outside any chance they get, so even a small run is ideal for at least night here. The neighbor across the river had his flock nearly wiped out by a Mink this last fall, so unfortunately I have to be mindful of the many predators that I've caught on trail cams near the rivers edge
I can’t speak to severe winters. Hurricanes and predators, are common here but only minor issues for my chickens. But key to that working is that my fowl are of genetic stock that can handle most threats that a wild turkey in the local woods can. When I talk about them roosting in trees, I mean they need to be 30 feet up on thin branches. That’s what makes them safer. A mammal predator is less likely to get them up there then on a roosting bar in a coop. But if they only flew up a few feet off the ground like many domestic coop breeds do, that would be no bueno.

Ah. Thats a brilliant idea! Thank you! I've been staring at these coop plans and working on it itself for the past 2 weeks in between work and snowstorms, the run ideas have been haphazardly thrown together, but seeing it in that regard makes more sense than my previous thought
Always plant berry or shrubs in chicken run. Plants that love chicken s****

I can’t speak to severe winters. Hurricanes and predators, are common here but only minor issues for my chickens. But key to that working is that my fowl are of genetic stock that can handle most threats that a wild turkey in the local woods can. When I talk about them roosting in trees, I mean they need to be 30 feet up on thin branches. That’s what makes them safer. A mammal predator is less likely to get them up there then on a roosting bar in a coop. But if they only flew up a few feet off the ground like many domestic coop breeds do, that would be no bueno.
Great info comment that IS the difference

Are they all game fowl? I was looking into Liege Fighters but my setup is not ideal at keeping a separate flock for breeding purposes. They are fascinating to me, although my 9 yr old is already worried about a game fowl roo lol, as our tiny Bantam rooster is currently the leader of my flock and for whatever reason LOVES chasing only her 😄

I currently am revamping EVERYTHING in our yard and my chickens included! So we live on a small ~5 acre property that is half wooded that backs into the river and a small man made channel. I have a current flock of 18 chickens, along with my goats, horses, and geese all living alongside each other. Anywho, I just started building 2 new coops for my chickens- an 8x12 as the main coop, and an 8x8 as my grow-out/brooding coop/chicken jail/breeding coop. I have a cackle mini surprise box coming in a few weeks so I will end up with close to 30 chickens after I sell some of those 😬

Ok! So my question is, should I still follow the 10sq ft per chicken "rule" in building an attached run, when my chickens free range roughly an acre of pasture/forest each day? I do need some sort of secure run as my Bantam roo and several others roost outside anytime it's above freezing, as well as Mr. Owl lives about 50 yards away from my current coop and we have plenty of coon and opossum, and martens that live near the rivers edge. Would a 10x10 or 10x20 covered run do the trick? I do have a hawk that's been hanging around for months now that hasn't attacked but hangs out nearby- he's a definite worry but I think my horses and goats have so far deterred him.
My chickens free range from sun up to sun down, so they really don't use the run they have now except in inclement weather, so I guess I'd rather stick money into nicer coops that into a huge run that can manage 30+ chickens

Chicken coop + run would be to the right of my fat rescue mare 😄 along the fence line
There is another way.
People get fixated on coops and runs, niether are great for low cost flexible solutions to keeping free rangers safe at those times when the chickens need some extra protection.

Have you considered a chicken tractor?
Something like this perhaps.
iu

I have about a dozen totally free-range chickens. That said, I can close a door overnight to confine them to an area if I expect particularly inclement weather (deep snow) or in the past when there was a dog problem we had troubles contending with. The confined area primarly allows them to space themselves as they become less sociable while awake.

My base units of confinement are 8' x 8' steel chicken coops that can be moved with effort. They are pricey although I expect at least 20 years of service out of each.

Newest just constructed today minus roof and nesting area.

1678882494362.jpeg

Second unit for orchard area will be constructed today after school / swim practice. We will periodically move them to spare grass within an area roughly one acre in area.
1678882540753.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom