Do I need a run? What kind of fencing?

Rime

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2015
Western Maine
Hi everyone -

We just got 8 barred rock chicks this spring. We're part way through constructing a coop and are wondering about fencing, and/or whether we need to build a fixed run.

We're on 40 acres, so would like to take advantage of all that space and let our chickens roam and forage.

Right now I'm thinking of using electronet to create paddocks that I can rotate around our land. My question is do these have to be attached to the coop? Could the chickens be trained to follow me from coop to paddock each morning, and back again in the evening, using say meal worms or some other treat?

Second question is even if we do this (remote electronet paddocks that they "commute" to each day), do I also need a fixed run attached to the coop itself? Say of hardware cloth and wood? We live in western Maine, so none of this would apply in winter, as we get a significant amount of snow. Other local chicken owners I've spoken to say theirs won't even step outside from Dec-March.

OR should we just stick with an electronet pen around the coop? What is our best option here?

Thanks!

With that kind of setup, you won't need a run attached to your coop. They are easily motivated by food and when one or two start following you, the rest will join in. Make sure to have some sort of shelter in the paddocks both for shade and protection from aerial predators.

Back
Top Bottom