Do I need male quail for my females to lay?

OtterCreekRanch

Songster
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
NE Texas
I got about 20 quail chicks a couple of months ago. I lost most due to a predator getting in the pen a while back and I am down to 8. I am fairly certain 5 of those are male. I think 2 are for sure female and 1 is iffy. I kept them all together in a large run until recently. I have been having a lot of issues with them picking on each other. I decided to move out 4 of the for sure males into another pen. They are still pecking each other like crazy, but they are soon to become dinner. Of the remaining 4 the for sure male I decided to try and keep is harrasing the heck out of the others. The backs of their heads keep ending up bald and bloody. I think if I take out the male the other three (2 females and one unknown) will be much happier together. I wanted to keep a couple of girls for eggs to eat. I don't have an incubator anyway at the moment so I am not interested in the eggs being fertile...what I am wondering is will the girls start and continue to lay without a male?

I got about 20 quail chicks a couple of months ago. I lost most due to a predator getting in the pen a while back and I am down to 8. I am fairly certain 5 of those are male. I think 2 are for sure female and 1 is iffy. I kept them all together in a large run until recently. I have been having a lot of issues with them picking on each other. I decided to move out 4 of the for sure males into another pen. They are still pecking each other like crazy, but they are soon to become dinner. Of the remaining 4 the for sure male I decided to try and keep is harrasing the heck out of the others. The backs of their heads keep ending up bald and bloody. I think if I take out the male the other three (2 females and one unknown) will be much happier together. I wanted to keep a couple of girls for eggs to eat. I don't have an incubator anyway at the moment so I am not interested in the eggs being fertile...what I am wondering is will the girls start and continue to lay without a male?
YEP!...cva34

Females lay no matter if a male is present or not.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom