Do I need nest boxes for my 2 geese or let them build their own nest?

ohiofarmgirl

Songster
11 Years
Jan 22, 2009
I have a toulouse goose and at least two other toulouse/roman females from last year's hatch. The gander is an Emden - unrelated to the mixed girls.

I think they are getting ready to lay. Last year I only had the one toulouse so this wasn't anything I needed to worry about - but do I need nest boxes for them now that I have more than one laying female? Or will they just choose their own spot? I lock them up at nite but they free range during the day. They have a 8x10 indoor enclosure that is all open but I could divide it up if necessary.

Thanks!

Mine have just started laying. And they lay where ever they want. I have large nesting boxes and they pay no attention to them. (It is actually the top part of an old amish buggy). They easily can fit in there, I have put straw in there and they don't lay in there. Where are you in Ohio? I am in Holmes county.
frow.gif

I use two old rubber tires. I fill them up with hay, and straw, and the girls nest in them. They are the perfect size for my toulouse girls, and since i already had them lying around, i decided to use them.

Last edited:
I have a nice big dog crate with nice hay in it for the geese and they like to lay in the pile of fireplace ash where the chickens dustbathe.
roll.png

Thanks everyone! sounds like i should provide a spot and see if they are interested!

Harley's Girl - I'm south and east of Lancaster in Fairfield county! how about this warm weather? what a dream!

To Sundown Waterfowl, probably a dumb ?, but the tires are a great idea, but here in Illinois, we learned with our kids and the sand boxes in the tires, to cut out the top rim because snakes would get in there and curl around (terrifying the little kids . . .) is there anyway they could get in the tires even with straw in it?

My girls decided to lay their eggs in the most travelled spots this last year. In the goat pen, middle of a walkway in the barn, you name it! This year I have everyone in a new pen 50x80 and put medium sized dog houses (8) in there with straw in them to get the point across. They are going inside, but no eggs yet from anyone so we'll see how that turns out!

Back
Top Bottom