Do I need to add electrolytes

abbly2

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Tennesse
We are experiencing heat 105 plus with terrible humidity. I have 12 5 week old chicks and two four week old turkeys. Do I need to add electrolytes to their water? They are in an insulated garage with tons of fans to keep cool. But it’s still pretty muggy.

It is a good idea to do it, but I don't know that I would say that you had to. You would need to do if if they were looking bad, but prempively giving them electrolytes may keep that from happening. Does that make sense? Let me know if you want a home made recipe.

I thought about just offering it and plain water too. Just to ease the mind. I had a couple that seem they needed a boost but were ok next day. My turkeys seem ok but the chickens I’m more concerned about.

Should I offer to turkeys to or just watch them?
I have no turkey experience. But since I know I have no experience, I would probably give them two waterers, one with electrolytes and one without, and then watch to see what they do. They know more about being turkeys than I do (although they also have a reputation for being stupid.)

If they drink the electrolyte water and then have problems, take it away. But otherwise it is probably safe to let them have the option.

Back
Top Bottom