do I separate my roosters yet?

nevrenufanimals

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 15, 2013
Southeast Louisiana
I have three roosters right now. No it was not intentional. Two are silkie males (brothers) that are now at least seven years old. I received two Lavender Marans chicks last year who are now 9 months old. Of course, one of those pullets was in fact male. Dang you chicken math!! :( My silkie males have always gotten along well. I have 9 hens and the 3 males in a 10 x 13 coop/run with an extra covered pen/run that is 14 ft x 24 ft. I also free range them often. I was worried when I realized that the new boy was in fact, a boy, because I dont want fights. I kept him hoping all would work out, and he is really beautiful and good with the girls. (And he is HUGE!) Well i have found my white Silkie rooster hiding in the coop now for several days. He was immediately attacked today by Romeo (the young big boy) once I moved him back to the big run. He just ran to a corner and hid his head and eventually Romeo left him alone. I let them all out to the grass, and few minutes later, the other Silkie male (who is my little fighter) was fighting with Romeo. Not hiding, but actually fighting. Should I leave them all to sort it out or should I go ahead and separate them? I could leave Romeo with the hens and put my little old guys in a separate section in the big run. Is there any chance they might settle down and get along again?

I agree with sourland, I have 4, 4 month old cockerels and there dad. There constantly harassed by the dad and hens. They do free range and sometimes I have to intervene, no one is damaged yet.

At 7 years the silkies are no match for the Marans cockeral. The personality of the Marans is what will determine if keeping them together will work. If he completely ignores the silkies after they back down it could be worked out if given free range space all day. If the cockeral is pursuing the silkies when they are not fighting back, or you are not able to give them as much space as they need to retreat, I would separate them. If you separate that needs to be the final decision, as putting them back together again will be worse than what it is now.

One more thing to think about is that Spring is upon us. Oftentimes naughty behavior from cockerels escalates as Spring arrives. At least that's the case with my boys. I wish you the best

Seperate them. I have a silkie rooster, they seem to be nicer than other roosters, but all roosters are territorial and that is an undeniable fact. If you want to keep the 3 of them, have 10 hens per rooster

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I separated them last night by putting up some poultry netting in a corner of their big run, on the far end, and making a small pen for the two silkies. I probably would have at least a dead black silkie this morning if I hadnt because Titan (the little black fighter) has been fighting Romeo through the fencing off and on since. Most times, Romeo spars a while then walks away, but Titan doesnt back down. Poor Zeus the white silkie is just huddled in the corner away from the action. I will most likely change the fencing to chicken wire soon so nobody breaks through. Does anyone think I could possibly ever let them all out together again?

Back
Top Bottom