Do livers become damaged by respiratory problems?

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
This year we had about half our flock come down with a bad case of respiratory issues, we had to do them up and medicate the rest (their done with that for the most part now.) What we found odd was that when we got to removing the liviers of the culled chickens. They looked fine, but when they were handled, they turned to mush. What I want to know is, is that normal for this kinda sickness. We've never had this happen before.

No, didnt take any, or think to. As for what it looked like at first, they look like a typical healthy chicken liver until their handled.
Were the birds fatty in the abdomen or around the organs?
Typically when I think of a liver falling apart when handled, Fatty Liver Disease comes to mind.
Sometimes birds can suffer from more than one illness or condition.

I don't know then :(
If you have any more like that, your best bet for the correct answer would be to get some testing - a vet or agriculture department may be able to do that for you.
I'll try to keep that in mind if we see it in our next ones to cull. (Still have 5 more to do up)

Hopefully others who normally butcher chickens will chime in with more comments. It might have something to do with the respiratory illness causing the problem. What were the symptoms seen? Did they mainly have sneezing and some congestion, or did you see bubbles in eyes or swelling of the eyelids or faces?

Back
Top Bottom