Do my chickens have mites and how do I get rid of them?

Luke82

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2022
Whenever I handle my birds I get tiny tiny bugs on me, I can mainly only see them when they get on my phone screen. Is there a way I can get rid of them very fast? I can’t necessarily see them when I look in my chickens feathers.

Need to part the feathers and look at their skin.

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Whenever I handle my birds I get tiny tiny bugs on me, I can mainly only see them when they get on my phone screen. Is there a way I can get rid of them very fast? I can’t necessarily see them when I look in my chickens feathers.
Get some permethrin spray and treat them and the coop.

Need to part the feathers and look at their skin.

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008
Thank you, I will check better tonight. I just have fair next week and am worried I won’t be able to enter my chickens

Back
Top Bottom