Do my hens have gapeworm? If so how do I treat it?

brierose3

Songster
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Central Coast, Australia
We have had our hens for nearly a year now, two were given to us and two were rescued including our rooster. One of the light Sussex that was given to us has been stretching her neck and making a loud "TOCK" sound and shaking her head whenever she eats the layer mash, ever since we had her. I thought it was just the fine layer mash because it sits on her tongue when she sticks it out and she acts like its stuck in her throat and just trying to swallow it. That is the only time I have really noticed her do it. We had a chick hatch in January and it seems to be her chick (Isa brown x Light Sussex) because of its size (already larger than our Isa Hen) and brown colour. Now that the chick is old enough, she is also eating the layer mash and making the same noise and neck stretching/gagging movements. Whether its the mash or just that she's old enough to actually have gape worm I don't know. Are those the symptoms of Gape worm or something else? And what can I treat them with?

With gapeworm, the gaping or stretching out of the neck with sounds of respiratory distress is pretty constant, so I think your birds may have either a problem with their crop, such as impacted crop from strands of long grass, or a problem with the food. You might try wetting the feed to see if it makes a difference, and check the crop first thing in the morning to make sure it is emptying overnight. Adjusting the crop can cause neck odd movements. Levamisole and fenbendazole are used to treat gapeworm, but must be given several days in a row. Here is a video of a chicken with probable gapeworm: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/831466/hen-breathing-very-heavily-advice-video-included

Get some Appel cider vinegar put in her water 1 table sp per gal, give her and all your hens that and they will fill great, treat them once every 90 days

Back
Top Bottom