Do need to feed both layer and Oyster Shell?

I’m assuming since I free range my hens that I need to offer oyster shell even though I also offer layer pellets? I’m think that they free range well more than 10% of their diet because they don’t seem to go through much pellet. Maybe half a cup a day per hen.

And do I need to offer grit in winter when there is snow cover?

You don't need oyster shell if you feed layer. The 3% min calcium is far more than they need.

You can supply small stones in winter to birds. Grab a small bucket from driveway pre frost. It doesn't take much and most winters there is a January thaw where they can dig at the ground anyway. If grit/stone is not available it results in them eating more feed. No joke, that's it.

Keeping in mind that everyone has their own opinions, I feel strongly about feeding a flock of laying hens an actual laying ration with the appropriate amount of calcium. I also supplement oyster shell on the side as Nutrena's own website advises that you do.

Why? Long story, but I had a flock that developed eggshell issues after my local feed store had me use a starter/grower with laying hens. Yes there was oyster shell on the side but they wouldn't eat it. They laid everything from thin shelled eggs to no shelled eggs. The eggs broke of course, and they found out what tasty treats eggs are. I had to butcher my favorite hen and several others as once they start eating eggs, they don't wanna stop.

So, my advise, just feed the appropriate feed for what you need. Why chance it? And for those that say "its bad for the roosters", I raise chickens for eggs, not for rooster's. My rooster free ranges and eats very little of the prepared food anyways so the effect on him is negligible.

Reading up now on layer vs all flock, so I can decide the direction I want to go when my chicks are old enough to start laying. They are currently 4 weeks old, but I don't want to be undecided in another 3 to 4 months.

Looking at the protein analysis on all flock vs layer. All flock is 18% and layer is 16%. What is the difference for the birds with the additional 2% protein level? I was planning on putting out oyster shell either way, so it is there if they feel the need for it. But being new to raising chickens, I am curious about the benefits of higher protein for layers.

Thanks for any input. I am learning a lot from this site!

Back
Top Bottom