Do peafowl kill snakes?

It's very late in the night right now to go hunting for peacocks. And, I seriously never cared about taking pics of them!! Truly under appreciated because they are so common and abundant. Anyway, I hunted a few pics for you that my Mom had taken with her mobile. I promise to provide (spam) you'all with better quality pics at a later time.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p502/TheAmberIndia/Image026.jpg

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p502/TheAmberIndia/Image025.jpg

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p502/TheAmberIndia/Image023.jpg

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p502/TheAmberIndia/Image021.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard that in India, moms wouldn't let children play in a park that didn't have peacocks for fear of cobras.

For 20 years I lived in the Sierra Foothills with lots of rattlesnakes, gopher, and king snakes too. Eventually my peafowl flock grew to 17 living free on the property. Once there were more than a half dozen moving around the snakes just seemed to disappear.
Eventually I got rid of the peafowl (they are noisy messy birds!) and the snakes slowly moved back.
Now, have I ever seen a bird kill or eat a snake? No.
Perhaps it was just the constant movement on the ground that repelled the snakes, can't really say. I just know that it was nice to not worry about rattlesnakes for several years.

I can't address why someone's peafowl might have killed chickens, but can say that my flock were free to fly down into the chicken yard with my girls. That's where the food and water were located, so they were in and out of there all day long. Never once did I see any problems between chickens and peafowl. In fact, the tree they preferred to roost in was the one directly over the chicken coop. Most of the younger birds were raised by Silkies, but my original 2 pairs came as young adults.

Perhaps it was a peahen with chicks who was protecting her brood?

One day a flock of turkeys came through the property. The toms and the peacocks were circling each other and sizing each other up with gobbling and warning clucks. The biggest tom finally decided he was going to claim the turf and fanned his tail as if to say "Look, I'm big and bad so stand back!" The oldest peacock looked at him with utter disdain and just fanned his tail in response as if to say, "Yeah, you've got nothing to beat this sucker!" LOL! I wish I had been able to capture that on film.

I've heard that in India, moms wouldn't let children play in a park that didn't have peacocks for fear of cobras.
That's so not true, lol. But Cobra is easily the most feared snake in India, and it is not even as endowed as the Russel's Viper or King Cobra. The King Cobra prefer the dense forests and mainly hunt other snakes (Vipers, Cobras, Rat Snakes, and even pythons lol). The Common cobra is also very slow unlike the Rat snake, so it is very offensive, not as much as the King Cobra but still. People grow this plant though (Andrographis paniculata), I am sure it doesn't ward off the snakes, but it is touted as snake bite remedy.

I had a chance to take photos of a pack of Juvenile male Red jungle fowl (about 6 or so) and some peacocks. I will edit this post and add the pics later.

The Red Jungle fowl is a protected species, so it cannot be kept as a pet here. Some people do try to lure the juvenile unpaired males (they are monogamous) to mate with their flock because of their beautiful plumage. Also the Indian Gaur is hybridized with normal cow. For this the farmers, lure the male Gaur using salt licks. The Gaur is the largest cattle in the world, so hybridization is aimed for the increased size, disease resistance, and hardiness. I can't stop talking if the subject is about animals. :) Have a nice day, peeps!! XD

Last edited:
Tall grass is a great place for snakes to hide and move around in. Not only that, but tall grasses host a number of the snake's favorite meals like crickets, grasshoppers, mice, and a plethora of other small rodents and bugs. Keeping the grass low also means that snakes will feel less comfortable there because they're open to attack by their own natural predators like hawks and owls.

I took these pics today in the University. People were looking at me like a weirdo lol. I had previously taken a few pics of of Juvenile Red Jungle Fowl, Peacocks, Spotted Dear, and Wild Boar with my Guide's (Principal Investigator/Scientist) camera, I will upload them later. Have a good day!!

Back
Top Bottom