Do Polish roost?

acid_chipmunk

Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Just as the topic says... Do Polish roost? Hubby and I are in the process of building coops for our new arrivals and were wondering if they do. Our Silkies have a roost and don't use it, they just pile on the floor. The Polish range in age from a week old to approx 7 weeks old. The 7 week old likes to jump up on the side of the brooder, but she doesn't stay there long.

If they do roost, how high should it be? They are bantam Polish, if that helps.

Thanks!

I don't know why a polish couldn't roost...
hmm.png

They have smooth feathers so they can flutter onto roosts.
I may be wrong though, I've had a bad day....

Last edited:
Yep. My Annabelle even skips the roost to go up higher to the window, silly girl! Our broody has been getting her babies up to the roost each night for a week or so now.

All of my polish hens and roo roost but I have some young ones (about 2 months) and they don't roost yet. They pile on the floor with the other pullets I have.

I have three polishes at about four months now. They have not yet roosted. They love to sleep at the door to the coop, and they are also early to bed, which creates a traffic jam for the rest of the birds when they turn in.

If I throw the birds up to roost (the roosting bars are about 16 up) all but one will be sitting up on the bars confused the next day. Are there any tips on how I can teach these birds to roost where they are supposed to at night? Within the next six months, they will no longer fit in the door, and I was considering building a lower bar inside the coop for them to rest on, but I already know they'll get pooped on by their upstairs neighbors. Any help?

I built a "chicken ladder" for mine to get up high to roost on the rafters. I have a pair of polish, 4 barnevelders, 1 silkie left after a fox got in the pen and carried 5 off and a darling pair of banties. I used a 12" wide x 10' long board and cut pieces of 1 x 2 in short pieces about 16 inches long and nailed them crosswise on the long board. Now they can walk up to the roost on their ladder. I only have one that won't use it. She is a barney and the tip of one of her wings was broken by the fox so I pen her up at night so she won't be afraid. I keep the polish roo in a separate pen as he is so mean to all the chickens. Will keep him for awhile in case I want to set some eggs. I was amazed that the silkie gets up on the roost but I think the fox scared her so bad that she decided she wasn't going to be easy prey. I now have my pen secured so Mr. or Ms. fox can't get in.

we have polish, silke and frizzles. they all roost just fine. our little two month old polish are already roosting

Absolutely do they roost! I only have one GLP hen that is 4 1/2 months now, 2 EE, and 1 Australorp. They are all about the same age. Believe it or not, but my polish even runs the roost. She is the one determining who is allowed to sleep where. Of course, she gets to sleep next to the two windows on either side of the roosting pole. Their roost is about 2 ft off the ground. In the beginning she had a bit difficulty to fly up because she couldn't quite see where to fly up to, but a little trimming of the feathers above her eyes solved that problem quickly. She's just started laying earlier this week and so has the one EE. The two are best buddies and always sleep side by side. The polish usually is the last one to go to bed as she makes sure everyone is put to bed right before she settles in herself. She is adorable!

Back
Top Bottom