Do racoons and oppossums get along?

ashlierami

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
I recently had a raccoon issue. It wasn't several but one in particular. Before I start I would like to warn whoever reading this that this post will contain details about killing a predator that was harming my flock. I understand some people are against that and think it's wrong to kill an animal for acting in it's natural behavior. That's great you do you and I'll do me. Anyways, this racoon would come on my porch every night searching for food. It would turn things over, harrass my cats, and make a mess. I always put food away at night so there was nothing for it. One hot night I accidentally left my coop door open and it tried to take my roosters sleeping in there. Luckily I was awake and heard the commotion so no one was hurt. I ended up getting a live trap for it. I got it and took care of it. Now a opposum has been coming on my porch searching for food. It used to come before the racoon but I noticed when the racoon started coming around it didn't. Do they get along? Are they enemies? Is it back because the racoon is gone? Also what could I place in the live trap to bait it? Currently I have dry dog food in the trap since that's what lured the racoon. Any help is appreciated and any advice.

Coons and Opossum don't get along, Don't think you could actually call them enemies but they are both territorial and so will chase off any other critter (a coon will chase off another coon too). Yes the opossum came back because the coon is gone. But do expect to have another coon move in at some point.

I recently had a raccoon issue. It wasn't several but one in particular. Before I start I would like to warn whoever reading this that this post will contain details about killing a predator that was harming my flock. I understand some people are against that and think it's wrong to kill an animal for acting in it's natural behavior. That's great you do you and I'll do me. Anyways, this racoon would come on my porch every night searching for food. It would turn things over, harrass my cats, and make a mess. I always put food away at night so there was nothing for it. One hot night I accidentally left my coop door open and it tried to take my roosters sleeping in there. Luckily I was awake and heard the commotion so no one was hurt. I ended up getting a live trap for it. I got it and took care of it. Now a opposum has been coming on my porch searching for food. It used to come before the racoon but I noticed when the racoon started coming around it didn't. Do they get along? Are they enemies? Is it back because the racoon is gone? Also what could I place in the live trap to bait it? Currently I have dry dog food in the trap since that's what lured the racoon. Any help is appreciated and any advice.
I've caught coon & possum both, 'though not at the same time, using table scraps as bait, meat & veggies.

Also what could I place in the live trap to bait it? Currently I have dry dog food in the trap since that's what lured the racoon. [/QUOTE]

You could try something like sardines or a can of tuna as bait. My brother has used marshmallows also, seems they have a bit of a sweet tooth;)

Back
Top Bottom