Do rooster collars really work?

Danny188

Songster
Jul 22, 2019
Iowa
We order chicks from a hardware store, we ordered hens but one of the "hens" is actually a rooster. 9 Buff Orpingtons (one died before we got them) and 10 rhode island reds. The rooster is a buff Orpington and he is 7 or 8 weeks old. So i dont really want to get rid of him because i found out they are actually pretty useful at other things besides being an alarm clock. We live like 100 yards out of city limits so we can keep him but the road we are on has lots of houses near ours. So do rooster collars work and does anyone have pics of a diy one you made that works well if. The rooster isn't crowing yet but he will be soo and i want to be prepared whenhe starts. Thanks!

We order chicks from a hardware store, we ordered hens but one of the "hens" is actually a rooster. 9 Buff Orpingtons (one died before we got them) and 10 rhode island reds. The rooster is a buff Orpington and he is 7 or 8 weeks old. So i dont really want to get rid of him because i found out they are actually pretty useful at other things besides being an alarm clock. We live like 100 yards out of city limits so we can keep him but the road we are on has lots of houses near ours. So do rooster collars work and does anyone have pics of a diy one you made that works well if. The rooster isn't crowing yet but he will be soo and i want to be prepared whenhe starts. Thanks!
They work at reducing the volume of the crow. However you can read of many stories of cockerels and roosters dying because of the collars.
If you are allowed to have roosters where you are, just let him be a rooster!
I intentionally ordered a cockerel with my flock. I have several neighbors close by. They all love to hear my boy crow.
Don't try to fix a problem you might not even have. Give him and your neighbors a chance.

Last edited:
They work at reducing the volume of the crow. However you can read of many stories of cockerels and roosters dying because of the collars.
I'd you are allowed to have roosters where you are, just let him be a rooster!
I intentionally ordered a cockerel with my flock. I have several neighbors close by. They all love to hear my boy crow.
Don't try to fix a problem you might not even have. Give him and your neighbors a chance.
It would take alot of nehbors to agree. We have a sub division full of rich people rignt by our property. Thanks for the info.

Also it depends how loud he is i have never had a rooster so i wouldn't know.

It would take alot of nehbors to agree. We have a sub division full of rich people rignt by our property. Thanks for the info.

Also it depends how loud he is i have never had a rooster so i wouldn't know.
If you are allowed roosters, why would the neighbors have to agree? It's not up to them.

The nehbors where there before the rooster, I also dont want our nehbors to hate us some may enjoy listening to it some may hate it, if i can have easily hear it when in the house we will probably put a collar on him better than having a chicken dinner. I also dont know 100% if its allowd we dont live in town so i assume it is.

Im not trying to disrespect what your saying im just saying it probably wont work very well were i live at.

The nehbors where there before the rooster, I also dont want our nehbors to hate us some may enjoy listening to it some may hate it, if i can have easily hear it when in the house we will probably put a collar on him better than having a chicken dinner. I also dont know 100% if its allowd we dont live in town so i assume it is.
I would check with the town. If you put the collar on him, you may end up with chicken dinner anyway if he chokes. Why not just rehome the poor guy?

Do you really want to allow a precedent that disintegrates your rights, in favor of somebody that has no right to complain?

If your neighbors think they are so rich that they shouldn't have to hear a rooster crowing, they should live where they can't hear them, or close their earlids.

I would check with the town. If you put the collar on him, you may end up with chicken dinner anyway if he chokes. Why not just rehome the poor guy?
We might rehome him too becuse we would have to keep him a while before he is big in enough to eat.

Do you really want to allow a precedent that disintegrates your rights, in favor of somebody that has no right to complain?

If your neighbors think they are so rich that they shouldn't have to hear a rooster crowing, they should live where they can't hear them, or close their earlids.
yea i know i was just thinking about the rooster collar incase it was way too loud.

Back
Top Bottom