Do Silkies roost?

Yes my silkies roost but they cant get up there without some help since my roost is 2 feet off the ground. So i took a milk crate and flipped it upside down and they jump on that and jump up on the roost cause they want to be with everyone else. I thought my black silkie was going to kill herself trying to get up there cause she was so determined to i had to add the crate in there. LOL

mine dont roost they sleep in a plie in the back corner of the coop. I have never had a problem with them being dirty. I clean thier corner nad add new straw regularly

Quote:
Yes, they do have the nicest voices & chattering, more like pigeons than chickens!

This is past the point by now, I s'pose, but yes, crest trimming helps them see better to get up, and I think the 5-toed thing makes clinging to a rounded branch-perch harder.
I think their balance isn't as good as that of a flyer (?), imo only... but they like wider places to perch. I can't get two of mine off the nest box rails, and yes, they do get pooped on down low sometimes. Most of mine pile under the nest boxes, which are elevated. It's not a heated coop, so they're seeking a low ceiling for warmth, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom