Do "Standard" size Silkies exist in US?

The more I read I realize that I am going to need a lot more coops and fenced in areas. Hope my son in law lets me take over his side yard! LOL!

I gave up trying to find over sized silkies.

I started to breed large silkies 1.5 years ago. I only need ONE fiture from them: broodiness. I have many different breeds but silkies by far are the best "brooders".

I started crossing with cochin (both ways). My largest silkie hen was 2.4 pound:-(. Now I have middle size 6 months old hybrids. From my preliminary crossing i understand that broodiness in not a dominant trait.

Now I need to cross hybrids with each other hoping to see that their progeny will bring some birds that gets broody 2-3 times a year. I have 4 hybrid roo and 5 hybrid hens.
May be I have to cross back to original silkie parents, hoping that larger size stays.

I am still looking for large silkies? anybody have them? Or anybody want to help me with this project?

Thanks,
Olga

Here's a pic of our white silkies. The rooster sounds like Barry White. They are much bigger than our other four silkies.

They are much larger because they are a silkie cross, not a purebred. Silkies have the walnut comb, in mulberry color. This looks to be an upright comb in a much redder shade.

Seems like you have some crosses already, just waiting for you to get together with Francheska5608 and do an egg exchange. :D I want large silkies too! :D

Here's a pic of our white silkies. The rooster sounds like Barry White. They are much bigger than our other four silkies.

My uncle had standard sized Silkie hens in California in the 80's. Not sure where he got them.

Silkies are considered bantams here although they are larger than average bantam chicken.

Supposedly in Europe (UK) they exist as a large fowl also:

http://www.courtneypoultry.co.uk/id4.html

Any comments or input?

I never raised Silkies, but a standard size silkie hen would be very useful hatching large eggs like ducks or peacocks.

Saba Live Poultry sells Standard Silkies for $12.00/each. They are located in Oakland, CA.
It is a meat market but I have bought them live.

Saba Live Poultry sells Standard Silkies for $12.00/each. They are located in Oakland, CA.
It is a meat market but I have bought them live.

I have over sized silkies. Here's my rooster to share with you. He's next to a standard sized Buff Orpington hen.
1218181100.jpg
1218181101.jpg
He's 16 and a half inches tall.

Back
Top Bottom