Do summer chicks orders have higher mortality?

foxflower

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Surprise Valley, CA
I have been ordering chicks by mail for years now as well as rasing chicks I've bought from local farm supply businesses and even occasionally hatched chicks myself. So while I am not an expert, I am experienced. One early spring with an order of 15 tiny bantams along with some standards I had high DOA and die off in the first few hours that was clearly due to being too cold and bantams being squashed. This year we again wanted some tiny bantams so we decided to order in the summer and only bantams in the box (15). The first order came the end of August. It took them a full three days to arrive. Several were DOA and a bunch died with in the first 12 hours leaving a total of 7 of 15 -- about 50% loss.The hatchery refunded me for the losses but couldn't replace my order. I tried again with another hatchery and had 30 bantams mailed the following week. They arrived a full 3 days later. I was there to pick up each batch while the mail truck was still there. 6 of the second batch were DOA and one gasping it's last. I was again well prepared with the brooder yet we had a bunch die again within the first 12 hours and a few have still dropped despite our best efforts to keep them going. 48 hours into it and we now have 11 of the 30+ whatever extras were in the box. That's mortality up to 60%! Interestingly, one breed in each batch has been very strong with no deaths...larger bantams (buff brahmas and crested polish). We are beside ourselves trying to figure out why. I'm wondering if the chicks just got too cold again but this time because of air conditioners being cranked up since exterior temperatures are so hot. Anybody have a similar problems with mortality right now or because of late summer orders?

My understanding is early orders get to cold and heat of summer orders get to hot.

The trick is predicting when the travel temps will all be favorable for the entire route.

Choosing a hatchery that is as close to you as possible certainly ups the chances of survival.

Bantams are a bit more delicate. Are you crushing the baby food so it is nearly the size of play sand? Are you giving any nutridrench or sav-a-chick when you get them?

Brooder is always on before they arrive. QuikChik or probiotic vitamin water in the water at 1/4 tsp per quart. Medicated chick starter in the feeder and on top of paper towels which cover wood shavings. Some ground fine, but not all. New waterer each time & brand stinking new brooder hutch... plenty of ventilation but controlable. Brooder heater turned off too cool just before outside temp reaches 90-95 degrees dry air after it was on a little too long one day. And they have lots of space to move in and out from under the brooder heater. We've tried yogurt, honey, and egg yolk to keep them alive. We are now onto elderberry, oregano, and honey tea in case they need the immune boost (made fresh and cooled.). We've also tried adding activated charcoal to the tea with this last lethargic chick. It's still alive so far.

Back
Top Bottom