Do the birds need a heated coop?

YardBirdCountry

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
I setup a heating lamp (red brooding light) in my coop. Going to have one day where the temp will get down to 7 deg. F. It is getting down to 25 deg F. tonight. (I live in Georgia) Forecast says it will only be low for about 3-4 days then it will get back up around/above freezing The light is mounted so it will heat the roosting bar area and the whole "inside" "upstairs" part of the coop. It should not get too hot. I also tarped over the open air part of the coop to protect from wind chill. I brought the drinking water in at night so it won't freeze up.

I turned on the light and the birds started acting kinda like it was day time. It disturbed their usual sleep pattern. They were also bullying and pecking each other so I turned it off.

I decided that 25 deg. F is probably warm enough to have no light. But I am still concerned about temps getting down into the teens or lower. Should I put the light on and just let them sort it out, or do you think they will be fine even on the days where it gets that cold.

They will be just fine. There are people in far colder climes that do not supplement with heat, including me. It was -15F here ths AM.

i have a 60w bulb in our coop just for light to lengthen the day (its on from around 1630-2100). if it gives them a little extra heat then great, but its already been in the single digits and 2 days of negative temps coming up. I wont be changing the routine or giving them extra heat, i just keep it dry in the coop and breeze free. they seem to be just fine about it.

25 degrees..is nothing to them.

Back
Top Bottom