Do they EVER shut up??

The Zoo

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Hayward, CA
Masala has started crowing all day. May take a little break but then starts back up again. He crows at 4am, he crows at 5 at 6 and then all day. This only started when the hormones hit. Does this mean he's going to crow like this forever or will he shut up when he matures?
He's driving me nuts, I can't imagine what he's doing to the neighbors.

I can't speak for all rooster owners, but they few I've had would start crowing like no get out for the first few months... then it would slow down to a few times a day.

Mine are silkies so not as loud as a standard... but the big change was from often to not so bad. (Until I had 3 at the same time and now they compete!!!!)

The last rooster we had was the same way, and he was a few years old. He crowed constantly from 4am to 8pm. He even crowed in the middle of the night if something spooked him. He drove us nuts over the course of a few months. I'd suggest making a pot of soup and finding a new, hopefully quieter, rooster.

I'm a vegetarian so no soup. He only just started this when:

hormones hit

we started having construction done on the backyard and there were strange men around and noise going on all day

really took off when I moved two of his girls inside to recover from some cuts and he could hear them but couldn't see them

I should say he's 6 months old and never crowed like this before.

Keep your rooster closed up in the coop and let him out later. Our Little Ricky is let out around 8:30am and so it keeps the early crowing to a minimum. He does go off through out the day, but not constantly. Some breeds crow more than others, Little Ricky is a Cochin and pretty mellow as roosters go.

A friend told me that if you put the rooster in a cage that he can't stand up tall to crow (full extension), then he won't be able to crow. I don't know if that is considered cruel or not, but you could construct a short cage on the roost bar and stick him in there at night. No crow if he can't get that neck extension.

Ricky is 6 months old too and he does crow a lot when the power tools are being used. Daytime crowing is not a big deal around here, but early morning crowing that wakes people up would be a problem.

Good luck,

Hugh

Last edited:
Quote:
Cool! I'm a Vegetarian too.
thumbsup.gif

But anyway, if his girls on inside, it's most diffenet that he will crow more often; it's his nature to protect them and when he can hear them but can't see them, he might get worried and so he calls them. But since they are inside and don't come when he calls, he keeps calling. Also, roosters (from my experience) like to compete with each other when crowing.
roll.png
We have one rooster in the garage and one in another coop outside, and our neighbors also have a young rooster who just started crowing. All are standards and it can get pretty noisy!
th.gif
LOL but it doesn't bother me; I ignore their crowing and I sometimes like to hear them crow.
smile.png
And even in the morning, when one rooster is crowing outside and the other is in the garage crowing back at him, and even though my bedroom window is right next to the coop, it usually doesn't wake me up.
smile.png

When they are young and just start crowing, they tend to crow more often (since at first their crow sounds weird but then it gets better and starts to sound more normal), but when they get older they tend to crow less often. Our Splash Cochin rooster used to crow about every 10 seconds (I counted in the morning) when he first started crowing, and now he crows in the morning once and a while and during the day sometimes (when he hears another rooster or other noises). Also, other strange or interested noises will encourage roosters to crow. In the morning, when I first wake up, if the roosters hear me in the house (like a door shut or something), they will crow in response to the noise.
roll.png

Even keeping him the coop hasn't stopped his early-morning-before-dawn crow. In fact he crows from inside the coop.
His crow is lovely, big, full and LOUD with rounded notes. In all honesty he has gotten as annoying as a constantly barking dog.
I just want him to not do it as much at some point in time. It's really constantly - even on weekends with no construction.
My neighbor was having a conversation on his side of the fence and Masala wouldn't shut up. My neighbor didn't say anything but it has to be annoying.

Yes, as someone said it depends on the rooster- I have a big, beautiful RIR Roo with 21 hens-he crows in the morning and some through the day ,nothing too long or loud. However, the neighbor had a pretty rooster that I swear crowed 24/7!! Every 10 seconds 'til we wondered how it had time to eat . I Hated that bird ,had words with the owner, who said "too bad,would not rehome" listened to it for 3 years before it died. On that day I felt like having a party. We still talk about "Gordon". Ha

Back
Top Bottom