Do they lay in the winter!

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
I have 23 girls. They are just 11 weeks old. I have RIRs, Barred Rocks, White Leghorns and EEs. Do they lay in the winter at all. I'm in the south so of course it doesn't get very cold here. Rarely colder than the teens.

I had mine lay all through winter last year and it gets frigid here!I find a light is essential. They need a certain amount of daylight to keep them laying, between 14 and 16 hours. I had a 100 watt clear bulb on a timer, it came on at 4pm and went off at 9pm so they could sleep. I've heard of people keeping light on for 24 hours, but IMO that is mean, when are the poor hens supposed to sleep, I know I can't sleep with a light on...

At least you won't have to worry about frozen eggs where you are...mine had a habit of laying them on the floor and I would find beautiful frozen eggs...
barnie.gif
If they actually laid them in the nest box the eggs were close enough to the heat that they wouldn't freeze, but do you think my hens could so that for me?!?!?!?

Those breeds will lay great though the winter. The Leghorns and EEs may slow down a little but they will still lay good. All breed slow some because there is less sun light.

Last edited:
can you use a battery power light through the winter if you dont have electric in the coop or is battery light not strong enough for them to still lay during winter

Most breeds will lay all winter long for their first year of laying. The numbers will be less when they are in the second winter. Some use light to keep the hens laying ( needs to be 14 hours for production ) however it does add stress to the hens that need a natural rest.

bigzio

mine stop laying in winter gets dark 4.30pm - 5pm in winter here i know i asked before but i didnt get a reply does the light have to be electric?

I don't think the light needs to be super bright, I think people use 40 watt bulbs and such. What is a battery light giving out for light? ...... but I doubt that it would be very cost-effective to use a battery-powered light. You would really be gobbling batteries to have it on for hours at a time like you'd need to. Can't you run an outdoor extension cord? You can buy a plug-in timer at Home Depot or similar that will turn on/off a light at set times.

i cant run an extention cable for a light as i would have to leave the window open to plug it in, i meant the led lights that look quite bright and the batteries last ages.
but i dont think it will be bright enough to substitute daylight

Back
Top Bottom