do we have a rooster???

kacappi

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
[/IMG][/IMG]

We were told we were buying a dozen hens just didnt no what kind at tractor supply. We got 9 cornish broilers and its looking like a rooster in the last 3. Are these leghorns and are they hens???

Wow thats what i was afraid of...we are new to the chicken world but loving every minute of it! Just wasnt planning on getting a rooster until we were more knowledgeable. We also have 6 black sex link and 3 RIR that are a little younger. What do i do with a rooster once they start laying eggs?

Wow thats what i was afraid of...we are new to the chicken world but loving every minute of it! Just wasnt planning on getting a rooster until we were more knowledgeable. We also have 6 black sex link and 3 RIR that are a little younger. What do i do with a rooster once they start laying eggs?

With the number of hens that you have, you can probably get by with keeping one rooster (the recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens). Fertilized eggs are fine for eating as long as you don't wait too long to eat them, but if you don't want fertilized eggs, you will need to either eat or re-home your rooster. Black Sex Links are my favorite chickens as they are friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. You should get loads of eggs from those 6 girls. :eek:)

You brought a smile to my face this morning...it was nice to hear such positive about the black sex link I just love them!!! I guess we have time to think about the rooster...

Back
Top Bottom