Do you and your chickens have a vet?

AWChickens

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Bloomington, IN
I posted last week about an injured rooster, and my great surprise that no vets in my area will treat poultry- not the farm vets, not the avian vets, not the exotic and 'pocket pet' vets. My story ended after 2 days of frantically calling vets, with the death of my chicken. I called 40 veterinary offices and found only 2 that would treat poultry, one 2.5 hours away and the other 3 hours away. We're at our busiest time of year at work, and I couldn't get a day off on short notice to make a 5-6 hour round trip to a vet. There are 50 vets though in my and the surrounding 3 counties, and none of those would treat, or even euthanize him. I had a beloved pet in pain and no one would help. Our local animal shelter agreed to euthanize him, but they don't even have chickens listed on the types of animals they service...they have pigs and horses listed, but not poultry!?!

My flock is vaccinated and very well cared for, and I simply cannot believe that vets will refuse to treat these pets. They certainly treat my horses, dogs, and cats- it never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to find someone willing to help an injured bird. So I want to know, because now I am curious...how many of you have a local vet that treats your birds? Have others of you run into the same problem that I have?

hugs.gif
Awww, I'm so sorry for you & the trouble you had, and for the loss of your hen. Somewhere on this forum someone is compiling a list of avian chicken-friendly vets, I can't find it right now. If you find one, even if it's not too close to you, please add it to that list to help others in that area.

This is something I advise all chicken-keepers to research right when they're beginning with their flocks. As you've found, it's not easy or fun when you've got an ill or injured chicken to begin your search for professional help.

Another thing to find out is how much you can expect to pay for an average visit, and if this vet would ever make a coop call.

For many of us, veterinary care for our chickens is either unattainable or unaffordable, often both. That's why forums like BYC are so very helpful, so we laypeople can learn how to diagnose & treat our chickens by ourselves.

As for me, I do have a vet in town that would treat my chickens, he will also treat my snakes. But I can rarely afford the cost of even a basic visit, and must care for my chickens & snakes by myself. Sometimes I will call his office to ask a question, but really, I more easily & readily find all the advice & information I need here on this forum.

I have, and I sympathize with you. I am sorry for your loss and the difficulties you encountered.

I have finally found a vet who will treat my chickens. He grew up on a farm, and when he found out I had chickens, I started taking him eggs. Next thing you know, he and his DW have a flock!

It's a long drive, but well worth it. Last time I went I had a rooster poisoned by moldy feed, with no hope of recovery. He put him down and didn't charge me, called it professional courtesy. This vet now takes care of ALL my pets.

I think to a lot of people, vets included, a chicken is "just" a chicken. They aren't worth much. They are often "food" animals, not "pet" animals, and so aren't worth taking care of when it is easy enough to hatch another or to get a hatchery chick for a couple of dollars. When compared to the price of a dog or a cow, a chicken doesn't measure up in most folks eyes. What they don't realize is that people who raise chickens, whether for pets, food, show, or whatever, want to take care of them.

I am sorry you lost your rooster.

One idea is to see if there are any good farmers in your area who raise poultry. They may be good sources of emergency care if you can befriend them. Check your local farmer's market for folks who sell organic eggs and ask them what they do when they have sick or injured birds. They may either know of a vet, or they may be able to help you out themselves.

There is an excellent avian vet in our town, and she does see chickens. I took my sick hen to her a couple of weeks ago, and we had a very good outcome. There are 4 vets in the practice together, and I don't know if she is the "Bird vet" or whether they all see birds. I can tell you that I was very happy with my experience there.

If anyone needs the name of the clinic I will be happy to give it.

CASEY

My vet cannot see chickens. It gets a bit complicated, but she is mainly a large livestock (cow & horse) vet. They are her bread and butter. Many of the cattle farmers around here also have commercial chicken houses. Some of those farmers wouldn't be happy to be sharing a waiting room with me and my chickens.
Her and I have discussed it. She has told me that if I ever have a chicken problem I can't resolve myself, to call her and she will offer as much assistance over the phone as possible; free of charge.

I know a vet about 10 miles from my house.
He worked for some kind of state poultry lab in his younger days and said to call him if we ever had any problems with our flock. He's a bit pricey, but the only one I know of that would treat/care for my chickens if needed.

I'm sorry you had such problems trying to find a vet. I know how hard it can be to find one
hugs.gif

I realize this would be quite a drive from Bloomington, but I highly recommend her. The doctor spent a good two hours talking with me today to try and figure out what is wrong with my Easter Egger Ginger. Ginger also had an exam, fluids injected, a antibiotic shot, a stool test, and a swab for microbes all for $113! I have never been treated so humanely by a doctor (animal or otherwise)! She really wants to help!!

All Wild Things 317-255-9453

It's in Broadripple (if you know where that is) just a little bit north of downtown Indy.

I'm sorry about your loss
sad.png

Last edited:
I have a Vet that will euthanize an injured bird close by. But, I too have a 3 hour trip for my Roo.
The only vet left is 90 years old...Dr. Cooper...he's the only one that will make a farm call and he's gone till Oct 2009.

Back
Top Bottom