Do you change feed during winter months?

I've never used layer feed. I only use flock raiser with calcium on the side (crushed eggshell), so I don't change anything seasonally. I don't like the idea of flat-rate force-feeding chickens something they can regulate themselves much better - like calcium. Especially because mine stop completely for winter and lay nothing for at least 5 months of the year, and their calcium needs drop significantly during that time. Layer feed with added calcium is an easy shortcut initially meant for commercial farms that need to optimize production with the least amount of labor, and who cycle their layers out after a year or two and have no interest in their long-term health. For them, using layer feed is much easier and more efficient than having to deal with supplying calcium additionally. But for backyard chicken keepers, the equation changes if you want longevity and long-term health, and a year-round flat rate of calcium doesn't fit well with that. Layer feed is easy and straightforward for new chicken keepers, who can't keep all the balls in the air yet, but if you want to get down to the details and provide optimal care, for the long game, then handling feed and calcium separately is best.

I feed all-flock with oystershell on the side because I have a mixed flock.

There's some seasonal variation in what forms of kitchen scraps they get, but that's the only seasonal change in diet that I offer.
Is the all flock like chick starter? My adult chickens make such a mess and waste chick starter when the get a hold of it. I like the pellet form instead of crumbled.

Is the all flock like chick starter? My adult chickens make such a mess and waste chick starter when the get a hold of it. I like the pellet form instead of crumbled.

All-flock feed is usually available either as crumble or as pellets.

Feed wastage with crumble is frequently a matter of feeder design. I like a traditional hanging metal feeder with a deep pan.

Where do you get your seed from? Can it just be wild bird seeds or something different? I bought a a bag of wild bird seed but it has cracked corn and didn’t get very much of anything to sprout.
You need to find a local seed mill that supplies sprouting seed for livestock like oats, barely, and wheat for example, but there are many kinds, otherwise it's not very cheap.

Back
Top Bottom