Do You Eat a Chicken When You Don't Know Why It Died?

Nope.

If a bird dies, there is a cause behind it. It may be organ failure, but it could also be countless other things. I'd rather not risk it. Toss that one and enjoy the ones you dispatch on your own.
big_smile.png

another "no" from here. i ate 3 birds that my dog killed right in front of my eyes tho. she just broke their neck because they were eating her food.

Even a Cornish X hybrid that probably died of a heart attack is not a sure thing.
Are you absolutely certain it was healthy before it died.
How do you know it didn't die of an infection?
Do you know enough pathology to inspect the internal organs and be sure it did not have cancer or some other nasty stuff.

Personally, I would not a chance like that.
Dump it away from your or anyone elses home and you'll make a few foxes or raccoons happy.

I butcher flippers if they die in my presence. The first time I witnessed a flip, I thought, "You've got to be kidding me!" Healthy one minute, flat on it's back the next and nearly full grown. I thought it had to be a heart attack or something. No way I could toss that in the trash.

If I find anything that appears abnormal in the butchering process, or if it doesn't happen in my presence, it goes in the trash.

This present batch, I have been removing their food at night and I haven't had any flips yet (fingers crossed and crossed again).

We have only processed a cornish cross after it died and that was because we out there when it died. You need to do it quickly. If one of our laying dies we just get rid of it. Not only do you not know how long it has been dead, but you can't usually tell for sure how it died.

Back
Top Bottom