do you find fresh eggs stick to the pan more than store bought?

whathaveidone

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Hi all,

I have a stupid question for you: do you find fresh eggs stick to the pan more than store bought?

We just recently started getting eggs from our first flock, and our observation is "yes, they do stick more when making fried eggs".

Is this typical? Does anyone happen to know what the chemistry behind this might be? What happens to an egg as it ages to keep it from sticking?

Thanks,
matt

I find they not only stick, they cook so much faster. I'm not sure why, someone will jump in with the explanation.

welcome-byc.gif

I use a small non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray add the lid and let them cook to consistency that we like and they slide right out. Usually 4 eggs to the small skillet
smile.png

??????
hmm.png

My experience has been exactly the opposite!

When I fry a fresh egg - we're talking practically just slid out of the hen - I am finding they are a lot easier to get out of the skillet.

The whites don't spread as much as a storebought egg so they are easier to flip for over-easy too.

I use a nonstick skillet with a little butter.
{shrugs} I dunno, but this is how it's been working for me.

I do agree about the hardboiled peeling issue - that is hit or miss, even using the tips posted here.

Quote:
I used the tips here and what works for me is to boil the water then gently place the eggs in the water. Boil gently for 6-8 min, shut off and leave for another 6-8 minutes. Cool in running water. I then put them in the fridge and forget about them till the next day. Peeling them is SOOOO much easier.

Quote:
I used the tips here and what works for me is to boil the water then gently place the eggs in the water. Boil gently for 6-8 min, shut off and leave for another 6-8 minutes. Cool in running water. I then put them in the fridge and forget about them till the next day. Peeling them is SOOOO much easier.

another trick that my mom taught me is putting vinger and some salt in the water before it boils, makes peeling a lot easier...

Odd........there was a post this morning that is the EXACT opposite of this one!!! Eggs were not sticking to the pan at all!! As for the shell peeling, adding salt does help, and also if you let the eggs settle for a few days, the shell peeling is much easier. Not sure why, I'm sure someone will chime in on it.

Here is the link from this morning:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261462

Back
Top Bottom