Hatch To Hens

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2019
High Desert
20190424_153658.jpg
20190424_153621.jpg
chick.jpg
chick1.jpg

1. Probably an Easter Egger, or whatever they're calling them these days. Nice birds. Lay green eggs, usually.
2. Maybe a Welsummer? That's common colouration. I'd like to see legs and feet. Could conceivably be a gold (EDT: brown. Not gold. I'm confusing them with OEGBs again) leghorn or another EE.

1. The black chick looks to have a rosecomb to me (hard to see on my computer, but if that is a little upside down horseshoe with indent in the middle, that is a rosecomb...typically pea combs are really hard to see in photos...so I'm thinking rosecomb). My guess would be hatchery Dominque as it looks to be barred, but the leg color is wrong. Otherwise, may be a Wyandotte, but again leg color is wrong....but that can happen at hatcheries.

2. Has a single comb. Could be so many things. Chipmunk could be Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, or Brown Leghorn, among other things.

This is the brown chickies leg color. Tan, 4 toes..
Thank you for your help. This is my first experience and I am so excited! Grew up with chickens, but have never raised them on my own. I work at a school and our Kindergarten classes hatched them via light. Very exciting!! I am bringing them updates as they grow, just got them home last night! Any suggestions.. feel free to fill me in :)

Attachments

• chick.jpg
    chick.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 5
The black can't be an Araucana...it has a tail.

Could be muffs, but also could simply be some chick fluff...hard to tell.

Possibly Easter Egger if that is cheek muffs.

Brown one is not an Ameraucana...it would have to have a pea comb, muffs, and be one of the standard colors...of which it is none. Doubtful it is an Easter Egger, although the hatcheries have so diluted their lines that they call everything an Easter Egger now, and there is little evidence left of the original Ameraucana or Araucana blood.

Time will tell.
LofMc

The black can't be an Araucana...it has a tail.

Could be muffs, but also could simply be some chick fluff...hard to tell.

Possibly Easter Egger if that is cheek muffs.

Brown one is not an Ameraucana...it would have to have a pea comb, muffs, and be one of the standard colors...of which it is none. Doubtful it is an Easter Egger, although the hatcheries have so diluted their lines that they call everything an Easter Egger now, and there is little evidence left of the original Ameraucana or Araucana blood.

Time will tell.
LofMc

I am a total newby at this. We had chickens all my life growing up, but I was the coop cleaner... I never learned the ins and outs of raising chicks or the breeds so I am reading and asking around now as an adult. I love this site and our chicks are doing amazing (in the house right now lol)! Thank you for your help. I think you are right, they must be Easter Eggers. The brown one maybe a brown leghorn?
I work at a school and the kinder teachers hatched them from eggs, but did not know which belonged to which egg in the end! Dang it! I am so curious! The teacher did say that they ordered Ameraucanas, but there were other breeds and other parents that took chicks home so.. ??

I am a total newby at this. We had chickens all my life growing up, but I was the coop cleaner... I never learned the ins and outs of raising chicks or the breeds so I am reading and asking around now as an adult. I love this site and our chicks are doing amazing (in the house right now lol)! Thank you for your help. I think you are right, they must be Easter Eggers. The brown one maybe a brown leghorn?
I work at a school and the kinder teachers hatched them from eggs, but did not know which belonged to which egg in the end! Dang it! I am so curious! The teacher did say that they ordered Ameraucanas, but there were other breeds and other parents that took chicks home so.. ??
Also, the black one is more grey now

Back
Top Bottom