Do you let your chickens out in the rain?

Messipaw

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
do you let your chickens out in the rain? Mine go out in their pen and free range as well. Is them being in the rain bad?

My chickens would have died a while ago if a little rain could hurt them. I leave the option for them to decide to go in the rain or not. They like to go out in light rain and come in when the rain gets heavy. Bugs and other crawlies don't do well in the rain around here.

ok good to hear. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong by letting them out in the rain. I'm on LI and the rain has been insane here. Is it bad if they go back in the coop with damp feathers?

My girls are still young and the food, sometimes, stays out in the rain. They're hilarious how they can't take 5 minutes without a bite to eat. They hang out in the coop and then run out into the rain for a bite only to return in a minute.

Now, when I know it's going to rain I move the food inside.

I give mine the option to go out everyday. The will go out in light rain also and go in when it's too heavy for them. I keep their food in the coop. But keep extra water out in the run for them.

The way I designed my coop and run my will have a chance to venture out in the rain, snow, cold etc. I have a bottom access door and will leave it open during the day and close it at night, what they do is up to them. I also have my run in the lawn and the woods so they have protection from alot of the elements.

What do you all use in your coops and runs? I put woody chips in the run to help with the mud situatio. So ffar so good. What do you use. I might switch to sand in the coop.

If you grab a chicken after she's been out in the rain and feel her feathers, you'll see that her skin is actually dry. Chicken feathers are water resistant and very insulating. If your chickens want to go out in the rain, let them. Some like it, some don't.

I would say put shavings in the coop and sand in the run. Although I've never tried sand in the coop--some people swear by it.

Back
Top Bottom