Do you name your chickens?NEW POLL!

Do you feel that naming your chickens you will become to attached to them?

• Yes,I do

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • No,Not really

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Well,It depend on if I am keeping the chicken for laying purposes

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
I used to name all my birds. I still do name the chickens, but my Cayuga ducks and drakes are more like farm animals and they ALL LOOK ALIKE! Well, the drakes all look like each other and the ducks all look like each other; I have four of each. When I had just a pair, they were named Thelma and Louie. (I had hoped Louie was a girl but whoops!) Thelma was killed by a predator whilst she was brooding for the first time, in a hidden place. So Louie became a widower. I got more straight run Cayuga ducklings and they all turned out to be drakes. So I ordered some sexed female ducklings and ... they all look alike. So only Louie - about a full year older than the other 7 Cayugas - has a name.

Honestly, I don't name any of my flock until they sort of name themselves by personality. Their names are human names, mostly, but the names "come to me" at some point. I call that "naming themselves."

My Toulouse geese pair are Kate and Angus.

My flock of 50 some chickens are mostly named except for the young ones. Carl is my dominant rooster, his favorite lady is Rebecca. They've produced Samantha (my very first GrandChick) and Becky, but Buffy my Vampire Slaying Buff Orpington hatched their chicks for them. (Rebecca has never gone broody.) I have 3 Buckeyes, and they are Queenie and Her Entourage. The other two Buckeye girls haven't given me their names yet, although all three are laying. I would be here for an hour naming all the rest of them and trying not to leave any out.

But everybody gets a name. I tried not to name the packing peanut RIR cockerels, but out of 8 of them, two got named. Riley and Not Riley. Two other roosters, not RIRs, were named and I intended to keep them, but then I had a neighbor issue and had to reduce the number of roosters in my flock. (I originally had 18 roosters/cockerels.) So, Riley, Not Riley, Michael and Patrick were named birds that became meals for other people. It was tough and I was extremely sad about it, but they lived very good lives until they were harvested.

I always name my chickens! How could I not?
lol.png

The two babies my BO hatched are named McNugget (my son picked the name) and Pee Wee because its so small compared to its sibling.My hens don't have names I just call them chick-chick and they come running! My two ducks no names either just duck and duck duck! I guess those are names though!

Back
Top Bottom