do you need a liscense to sell eggs?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
just wondering with all the federal food laws and such..just in case i decide to give it a try...thanks, Wendy

Exactly. In washington state you can sell eggs where they are "produced" no license required. However, if you want to sell them other than where they were produced (i.e. farmers markets) you have to get a business license, egg handlers license and some stickers from the Agriculture folks. All in all about $70 out of pocket.

This is interesting, as my daughter has been working Saturdays at a Farmers' Market in Washington DC. They get a lot of stuff from some Amish farms in PA, including eggs, heavy cream and raw milk. I asked her if there were any special requirements for selling the PA produce over a state line and she said .... if there is, that particular item is marked 'pet food only.' Now, everybody BUYS the stuff for more than pet food, but because he labels it as such, gets past regulation.

Not sure I agree with this, and was surprised how 'commonplace' my daughter said is was at the 'green' city markets.

I see that as civil disobedience.
smile.png

thanks everyone...i probably wont have many left over to sell anyway..in between my house, mother, brothers house, uncles house, and bribing my neighbors...
hu.gif
....heck, now that i think about it...I'LL be lucky if I get an egg!....lol...thanks, Wendy

Back
Top Bottom