Do you remove eggs from a turner for the last three days?

GroovyFarmer

Chirping
Aug 9, 2016
Canada
It doesn't say so in my automatic egg turner's instructions, but I have seen a couple sites that say that you should take the turner out at around day 18 and place the eggs on the wire bottom of the incubator. I think this option would make a bit more sense because it seems it would be easier for the chicks to hatch, but I'm not sure. What works for other people with automatic turners?

It doesn't say so in my automatic egg turner's instructions, but I have seen a couple sites that say that you should take the turner out at around day 18 and place the eggs on the wire bottom of the incubator. I think this option would make a bit more sense because it seems it would be easier for the chicks to hatch, but I'm not sure. What works for other people with automatic turners?

Yes, take out the turners. It's not only less of a mess, but safer for the chicks. I use the dollar store rubber shelf liner on the bottom of my bator. It cushions the eggs and provides good footing for the chicks.

Yes, take out the turners. It's not only less of a mess, but safer for the chicks. I use the dollar store rubber shelf liner on the bottom of my bator. It cushions the eggs and provides good footing for the chicks.

x2. I love those rubber shelf liners, I use the ones with the little bumps and holes in it rather than the solid ones. They really seem to be able to get a grip with those and it has to be more comfortable than trying to walk on wire.

If you have a turner that stands the eggs up and rocks them side to side, yes take it out. If you have a turner (such as the IncuTurn) that rolls the eggs on their side, you don't take it out. Because the IncuTurn is flat, when you unplug it on day 18, it just becomes part of the floor of the incubator so there's no need to unload the incubator and remove it.

What happens if you don't remove them on time? I am doing my first batch and didn't know to take them out. At day 20 now and I just took them out of the turner and put them on the wire floor.

What happens if you don't remove them on time? I am doing my first batch and didn't know to take them out. At day 20 now and I just took them out of the turner and put them on the wire floor.
I am wondering the same thing I'm 2 days away from my first hatching I have the side to side turner did you decide to take out or leave in I'm afraid to move the eggs myself how many did you have in and what was your hatch rate 1at time? If I hit 50% I feel good about 1time

I am wondering the same thing I'm 2 days away from my first hatching I have the side to side turner did you decide to take out or leave in I'm afraid to move the eggs myself how many did you have in and what was your hatch rate 1at time? If I hit 50% I feel good about 1time

I've done a few batches and yes taking them out of the turner a ayd or two before they start hatching is a good idea. Hatching them in the turner doesn't work out so good.

Yeah switch off turning from day 18 and increase humidity levels to prevent the membrane drying out when the chick starts hatching. Best of luck.

The reason why you remove the turner is that most incubators incubate in the upright position and this doesn’t allow the chick to find the correct position to internally pip to the air sac and breath.
Side rollers may leave the chick in the correct position but unless you marked the air sac you don’t know for sure which leads to incorrect pipping and death due to inability to break out. That being said, I am certain that a broody hen is not marking her eggs either
( although she may intuitively know ).
The other reason to remove the turner is that there is a chance that the chick will get hung up in the turner and become injured or killed. Just my two cents. Hopefully you will have a great hatch!

Back
Top Bottom