Do you think its a good idea for quails to live in a chicken run

mallard_maniac

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2024
I have 15 courtunix and 2 bobwhite right now they live in a spacious shed. Although I bought a big chicken run for them to have more sunlight and air. I'm going to put a smaller coop in the chicken run so that predators cant come during the night. I also have 6 ducks but they will be free ranging during the day but they will come back inside at night to sleep in coop in the chicken run so that predators wont come to get them during night. The chicken run also has shade and can be protected from rain.

Let me know if its a good idea

Thanks

You will want to coat the chicken run in 1/2" hardware cloth. The quail may go through chicken wire and predators will reach right through those gaps and pull your quail out in pieces.

It's not a good idea to house your quail with other species of birds. Larger birds are likely to peck at them and injure or kill them. This could happen by accident. Many domestic birds also carry diseases that they are resistant to, but quail are not.

You will want to coat the chicken run in 1/2" hardware cloth. The quail may go through chicken wire and predators will reach right through those gaps and pull your quail out in pieces.

It's not a good idea to house your quail with other species of birds. Larger birds are likely to peck at them and injure or kill them. This could happen by accident. Many domestic birds also carry diseases that they are resistant to, but quail are not

Thank you
I've been keeping my ducks with quails since they were young although they pecked at the beginning now they stopped and mind their business. I'm not sure they might start pecking again if I change their coop

Just because of the size difference I personally wouldn't keep them together. I have orpingtons and Plymouth Rock. My mom originally gave me silkies. when I added the bigger girls as pullets to the flock of little bantams it was not good. Well it started good and ended bad. I ended up having two separate coops for the two sizes. The bigger ones quickly ruled the roost, I couldn't stand those little fluffy birds getting constantly picked and stepped on. I can't imagine the size difference between ducks and quail! Good luck! Also in a huge pen free quail can really fly! And boy can they run fast to escape a door! I use a two door system like at zoos to prevent any flying/running out!

Thank you
I've been keeping my ducks with quails since they were young although they pecked at the beginning now they stopped and mind their business. I'm not sure they might start pecking again if I change their coop
I see from your many other threads asking about egg laying and nesting for your Quail. Don't believe you will have very good results with successful nesting with 6 ducks in same pen. The quail if not harmed may also be so stressed from the large ducks they may not lay well enough to even try to nest. you may be successful if you have a very large, covered run.
I bought a big chicken run
How big is big?
I'm going to put a smaller coop in the chicken run so that predators cant come during the night.
Quail aren't much for coops and if you try and keep your ducks and quail in smaller coop at night you will be asking for problems.

I see from your many other threads asking about egg laying and nesting for your Quail. Don't believe you will have very good results with successful nesting with 6 ducks in same pen. The quail if not harmed may also be so stressed from the large ducks they may not lay well enough to even try to nest. you may be successful if you have a very large, covered run.

How big is big?

Quail aren't much for coops and if you try and keep your ducks and quail in smaller coop at night you will be asking for problems.
It's like 13x10 feet. The ducks free range in the morning but I bring them back at night so predators wont come. The ducks and quails have been living together since the ducks were babies and they don't peck at them and huddle together at night.

Even if it's working now with them together I wouldn't make long term plans for it staying that way. To many bad experiences with size difference like that. especially some, not all, male quail can be quite mean and territorial. So they may start the problem at maturity but not be able to finish it.

Back
Top Bottom