Do you think these are roos????

dancemomx4

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2015
San Jacinto, Ca
Hi these guys are from my first hatch so I am a first time chicken mama and need some help trying to sex these cuties. I believe these are roos but I am not positive, I am really unsure of #3 so any help is greatly appreciated. They are 8 week old silkie mixes, #4 wasn't cooperating with having pictures taken, I can try and get better ones if needed. Thank you in advance for your help!

Chicken 1

Chicken 2

Chicken 3

Chicken 4

Those are hens. If you look at the shape of the feather Roos have pointed while hens have rounded Roos there tails would be sticking up and long

Those are hens. If you look at the shape of the feather Roos have pointed while hens have rounded Roos there tails would be sticking up and long

I have crowing happening in the mornings (well they are a bit horse still and crackly) so I know I have at least two that are roos. They are only 8 weeks old and so their combs and tails are still growing, I have some who don't have combs at all yet. Thank you for the advise and I will take a look at their feathers!

Yeah, hard to tell, but I'm thinking all are Roos. Love the blue on bird three! The combs are just so big for being only 8 weeks old. They are also so brightly colored! Good luck. I suspect you're going to hear more crowing in the future.

You also could look for a spur on the back of the foot just and idea probably won't work but Roos will get big Spurs on their feet as they get older

Yeah, hard to tell, but I'm thinking all are Roos. Love the blue on bird three! The combs are just so big for being only 8 weeks old. They are also so brightly colored! Good luck. I suspect you're going to hear more crowing in the future.

Thank you! This was the chick from my daughters favorite egg and is her favorite chick so I was hoping for a hen, but I was leaning towards roo. With our zoning we can't have a roo, this makes me sad.

Back
Top Bottom