Do your chickens eat snow?

dappertophatter

Songster
11 Years
Mar 1, 2008
The Jersey Shore
Just curious. My neurotic Polish have been bouncing around in the snowy run allllll day, after my rooster finished crowing at it and telling it all the bad things he was going to do to it if it hurt his girls.
roll.png
They've been eating MOUNDS of it- I should let them out on the driveway! (They have freechoice warm water, so I'm not worried.)

Apparently this particular icy snow is REALLY REALLY good- the Polish have been chasing the one who has the GOOD piece of snow on and off all day.

The Cochins, however, have been laughing their heads off from the warm coziness of the run, and haven't come outside once today.

So, do your chickens eat snow?

Mine barely go out in the snow. They better get used to it though because we get in excess of 10 feet per year on the average. Last week when it was in the single digits with wind, they didn't go out at all. The past two days they have ventured out but have not had snowball fights yet. BTW I have 8 Red Stars.

We just got two and a half feet of snow.
big_smile.png
They're gonna be busy- we're renting them out to the neighbors to clear walks & driveways.
lau.gif

Edited because hlaf isn't a real word
roll.png

Ours eat it. We put it in their water dish at night so they have some source of water overnight. It's gone in the morning - they eat it all!!
big_smile.png

Its only snowed once here so far this year and you'd think I spread poison in the run. They wouldn't come out until it melted!. Silly birds!

Back
Top Bottom