Do your ducks free range?

woknrouen

Chirping
Oct 26, 2021
People with small backyard flocks, do your ducks free range? I have 2 ducks, they have a coop attached to a run. I let them out every morning to roam the backyard and at night depending on the weather, I lock them in the coop or allow them to be in both the coop/run. Is this similar to what you do or do others have pens attached to a grassy area and not allow free range? I've been scared recently of predators, as it's impossible to protect them if they free range all day. And I feel bad keeping them in a confined space. Not really sure what to do.

nope i have had 2 ducks for about 5 years now, they never get to free range. too many coyotes, coons and weasels.

i first felt bad for them being in a smaller area (i live on about 20 acres) but soon felt better knowing if i did let them free range something would kill them and cut there life short. so i just give them the best life i can

nope i have had 2 ducks for about 5 years now, they never get to free range. too many coyotes, coons and weasels.

i first felt bad for them being in a smaller area (i live on about 20 acres) but soon felt better knowing if i did let them free range something would kill them and cut there life short. so i just give them the best life i can
how does their living situation look like? how much room do they have!?

how does their living situation look like? how much room do they have!?
for winter they live inside the coop but its plenty big enough for the two of them, out side is a full out fort Knox style run maybe 200 square feet (sorry my math might be horribly wrong) with a tunnel, shade clothes (to both protect from heat and the chance of avian flu dropping) a paddle tub for them to swim in and quite a few water and food systems as at time i might leave them for a few days.

I have 12 ducks currently. They live in an old shed, 7x6. We took a big 12 foot shed that had porcupine damage and cut it in half, glued rubber roof on the floor and fixed the doors! We cut a duck door on the sidewall so they can come and go and also shut them in at night and when it gets super cold. I do have bears, so i have to secure the doors or they could get in. When we get new ducks or hatch them, I put up a fence so they know the "yard". After about a week, they roam free. Sometimes they wander to the neighbors but not often. During the summer, they have two kiddy pools. They are watered and fed outside because they are so messy, even during winter! So far, it's working well!

People with small backyard flocks, do your ducks free range? I have 2 ducks, they have a coop attached to a run. I let them out every morning to roam the backyard and at night depending on the weather, I lock them in the coop or allow them to be in both the coop/run. Is this similar to what you do or do others have pens attached to a grassy area and not allow free range? I've been scared recently of predators, as it's impossible to protect them if they free range all day. And I feel bad keeping them in a confined space. Not really sure what to do.
I've kept 11 ducks on 18 acres to roam wherever they please. I've only lost 2 to predators.

I am now down to 13 ducks [old age] plus chickens and one goose they all free range during the day on a little over half acre fenced. I've lost a few chickens over the years to them leaving the fenced area and flying out into the woods. So far I haven't lost a duck to a predator.[2004]
Only problem we have had inside the fencing is hawks lost a few chickens and my Muscovy was hit hard by one hard enough she lost vision in one eye. I love to be able to let my birds have a little more freedom than a run but when letting them free range we are taking the chance of losing some. :(

I live in a subdivision with a 6 foot privacy fence around my backyard. I currently have 5 ducks who free range in my garden all day long and are locked in their coop at dusk. In five years I have not had any trouble although there are coyotes, fox, and raccoon one street over, and hawks flying overhead. My ducks have several places to hide such as shrubs, low trees, a lean-to made with old plywood, etc.. In the summer, the Purple Martins who live in Martin houses in the neighbor yard go after any raptor who dares to come too close. I have watched them chase off a Red-tailed hawk, Cooper's hawk, and a Great Horned owl.
F8939C93-E499-4FEF-B0EE-9A2C7D67B644.jpeg
BEEB8903-6C13-47F9-A02D-1748994D1B06.jpeg

I've never let my ducks free range. They are not a 100% reliable about going into their coop at night so I don't want to be rounding them up in the dark. We also have a lot of woods all around their area that would make them an easy target for predators.
They have a fairly large fenced in area that I use poultry netting for. It can be moved around if they need fresh grass.

I have 16 and I have a covered run area as well as I free range
We have just moved our fence right before winter hit so they will have a lot more area
My ducks are so good at going in their coop for night
They go in just before it gets dark all on their own
I leave the little duck door open all day so they can go in and out as they please
As for predators we do have a lot of hawks in the area
I see them flying over daily
My husky stays out with my ducks all day and watches
They also have a few magpie friends who sit close by talking to the ducks ( probably wanting to eat their feed )
I even had one standing with the ducks looking in through the duck door as I was cleaning the coop
I have seen the magpies chase off hawks from the area a few times
I have only had ducks 1.5 years and so far been very lucky not to have lost one to predator

Back
Top Bottom