Do your hens like watermelon?

Anything new will usually throw them for a loop.....sprinkle some scratch on it and they'll figure it out pretty darn quick.

I don't give my birds the ripe flesh of the melon, that's for me :D ......and they don't need all that sugar.
Melon can give them the runs.....and with watermelon it's very strange bluish color, IIRC.
I do save the white part near the rind and the rind into the freezer to give to them on hot days.
That's a good tip about the scratch, I'll try that sprinkled on the rind after I freeze it, thanks!

They turned their beaks up at raspberries too, but they love cherry tomatoes, so I put some in the freezer for a cold treat.

Mine didn't like it at first until I added yogurt and feed sprinkles. But once they got into it they ate it until all that was left was just the thin watermelon outer skin. They loved Pumpkin too. just put holes on the sides - they went nuts for both.
Caroline

Whenever I introduce something new to my bunch, they just look at it. My chickens were the same way when I first introduced watermelon. Now, they fight over it. I include it in my frozen treats that I make for them every day when it is so hot. They peck it right down to the skin.

Our chicks seem to love watermelon! We give them frozen slices as treats on really hot days. They sit on it and peck it down to the rind. The also fight over frozen corn and frozen berries.

The dh's English Buff Orpington rooster, Basil, enjoying some watermelon.

Ours prefer it with seeds and the rind. If they've been given a round end, we're left with a perfect bowl. As aart wrote, it does cause runny droppings. From now on, I'll be giving the fleshy part to the dog and the girls can have the rind. I was concerned it might make them sick and I'm relieved to know it's safe.

Ours prefer it with seeds and the rind. If they've been given a round end, we're left with a perfect bowl. As aart wrote, it does cause runny droppings. From now on, I'll be giving the fleshy part to the dog and the girls can have the rind. I was concerned it might make them sick and I'm relieved to know it's safe.
Wonders what that all that sugary water does for the dogs product?
I do give my pup a chunck of frozen rind, without the skin, when I give some to the chooks.
Never ceases to amaze me how the bird can eat every speck of rind but leave the thin skin.

Wonders what that all that sugary water does for the dogs product?
I do give my pup a chunck of frozen rind, without the skin, when I give some to the chooks.
Never ceases to amaze me how the bird can eat every speck of rind but leave the thin skin.

I hadn't thought about that with the dog and I don't want to find out. He will have to stick with the pieces that end up on the floor. :)

Back
Top Bottom