Docs missin, or was....and D'Artagnan is limping

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
Yesterday we Couldn't find her fat tail anywhere. I didn't think there was any place she could escape. we talked to the neighbors, no one saw her. We called animal control and all the shelters, no reports of a duck on the loose...so I sat here in tears worried about my fat duckie. Well, a few hours later my 16 yr old goes umm mom docs in the yard. Sure nuff, there was my fat white duckie. All good right? nope. This morning she was gone again. There is no place in the yard we didn't search. Even under an old couch we are planning to haul to the dump. 2 eggs under there, so yeah, I guess she can squeeze her fat butt under the couch. But no duck there.
No sign of an attack, no feathers or body and 3 other birds out there that were just fine(kinda, more on that in a bit).
This morning I was out wandering around the yard hunting...no sign...then i hear a quiet quack...and D'Artagnan(her mate) goes running/limping across the yard. He stops at the back fence quacking in the way only a male duck in distress can. Pop, here comes a pretty white head under the fence...She squeezed her fat butt under the fence...a 4" gap and she got under it...I'm still scratching my head.
Of course miss obnoxious wouldn't come back under...so out I go with the electric drill to start removing boars. 3 off and I get back there...to find her and a nest of 8 eggs. wow. She was standing on them staring at me like whatcha gonna do now.
I couldn't leave her back there, she can get in the yard behind us as their fence is down...So, we grabbed the eggs and brought them in. We candled them and 6 were good. The kids put two in their little ufo incubator, the rest, well, I made a nest in the duck pen and settled them into it, I hope she takes back up with them. I tried to hide it a bit.
So the saga of Doc is over...I hope...and the ducks are now secured for the summer back in their pen(I let them loose all winter when we weren't worried about them destroying garden and yard).

D'Artagnan...kinda worried about him. He's limping. I've checked his foot and leg and joint several times. No swelling, no cuts, no sores, doesn't seem to cause pain when I manipulate it. I'm stumped.
I hope now that he's confined and won't be chasing the dogs it will heal up.

Ducks, no matter how big, can sqeeze through some tight spots. I have a 12 lb pekin who routinely breaks out of their pen. She jumps onto the door panels I have blocking the fence, wiggled through the fencing, and pops out in the other side. For days I couldn't figure out how she did it. A huge duck wiggling until she fits through a 4 inch hole is pretty comical, but watching her do it balanced 2 feet off the ground is amazing. Once they find their perfect spot to lay they can figure out how to get there. Never believe anyone who tells you ducks are stupid.

Ducks, no matter how big, can sqeeze through some tight spots. I have a 12 lb pekin who routinely breaks out of their pen. She jumps onto the door panels I have blocking the fence, wiggled through the fencing, and pops out in the other side. For days I couldn't figure out how she did it. A huge duck wiggling until she fits through a 4 inch hole is pretty comical, but watching her do it balanced 2 feet off the ground is amazing. Once they find their perfect spot to lay they can figure out how to get there. Never believe anyone who tells you ducks are stupid.

Oh i bet that was sooo funny.
I think they are contained now...I hope.
Doc is ummm about 30 lbs. she's fat.

EGUH REVO lLWaddles is more like it. She isnt just fat, she is all over huge. People leep asking if she is a goose. Nope. Just a very big peking. Now you know why the dogs are afraid of her.
Next to her the indian runner seems tiny and acrawny

Back
Top Bottom