Doe refuses to use nesting box

ajwhitti79

Chirping
Jul 7, 2020
Looking for some advice. I have a 6-month-old TAMUK doe who was bred last month. I gave her a clean/sanitized (but previously used) wooden nest box with fresh straw on day 28 of her pregnancy and she was showing healthy signs of wanting to nest. But she absolutely refused the box. She would remove all the straw and make a nest on the other side of her cage. As per online advice, I took her nest and carefully placed it in the box, and moved the box to the spot she had picked. Six hours later, she had removed the nest and placed it on the other side of the cage! This back and forth happened 3 more times over the span of the next couple of days. I only have one nest box so I couldn't add more to fill the spaces. Another online forum suggested just filling the cage with hay and letting her nest however she wanted. My cage has 1/2 in wire on the bottom and 1in wire on the sides, so I felt that it would be safe enough in case she did kindle outside the box. My only worry was the temperature. We had a cold snap last night and it dropped to 32F. Today and the rest of the week it is supposed to be 60's during the day and 40's at night.
She had her babies at 10 am today... on the wire. She moved all the straw that I had given her out of the way and I was lucky enough to check on her just as she was cleaning up.
I scooped up the babies and placed them in the nest box, fur and all, worked on some quick chicken chores, and when I went to check on her, she had taken them all out again. I gave up on the nest box. She won that battle. Babies are healthy, wriggling, plump, and pink.
So, I took a piece of cardboard and laid it on the cage floor where the babies were first born. Then I constructed a nest on top of the cardboard and into one corner of the cage. I placed the babies and lots of fur in the nest and then backfilled the rest of the back half of the cage with straw. So imagine the back half of the cage with about 4 inches of straw and a nest in one corner. Then I found some 3-inch scrap wood slightly wider than the cage and wedged it between the walls to make a divider of sorts to keep babies from rolling to the front of the cage (and give the doe a place to exist baby-free).
I have never had this happen before. I called my breeder and he was also dumbfounded that she refused the box. He didn't really have any advice. I'm thinking I'm going to give her a day or two to settle into mom life and then I might move the babies + nest into a shallow wicker basket or something like that.
I'd love to hear your take on this and if you have any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas.

When you say box, is it a box with a hole in so it's like a house, or a box that the top is just open, if you understand what I mean.

I'd put them in an open box or basket so they can't crawl out. Hopefully she'll adjust and be a good mamma.

When you say box, is it a box with a hole in so it's like a house, or a box that the top is just open, if you understand what I mean.

I'd put them in an open box or basket so they can't crawl out. Hopefully she'll adjust and be a good mamma.
It is a classic-style nesting box with a wire bottom, wooden sides, and a wooden platform on top for the doe to sit on to get away from the kits.

Back
Top Bottom