Does anybody have Americanas/easter eggers from Mt. Healthy?

Blackfoxbog

Chirping
Mar 6, 2020
Hi all,

I just lost 5 hens to marauding neighbor dogs.

I really want to raise chicks again in hopes that any will turn out as wonderful as the Easter egger and the Plymouth blue rock that were killed. They were the kind of birds that every bird owner wishes they had - smart, curious, personable, and extremely cuddly.

Problem is, I'm trying to limit the number of chicks this time around. I got the Plymouth blue rock from Mt. Healthy, and the easter egger came from Cackle Hatchery. I know Cackle hatchery has a 3 chick minimum and they always send extra. Mt. Healthy also has a 3 chick minimum. I don't want to add 7 hens to my remaining flock. Our coop and run just aren't big enough. It would bring the number to 16. We've had 16 before, and it was really pushing it.

I'm not willing to compromise about the Plymouth blue rocks, so I'm going to stick with Mt. Healthy. Does anyone have experience with their Americanas/Easter Eggers as pet animals as opposed to production animals? How is their temperament?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240512-141655_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512-141655_Instagram.jpg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 1709849971771.jpg
    1709849971771.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 7
Mt healthy does send an extra, too. I only wanted 2 new chicks this year, but I ordered 3 from mt healthy and they sent an extra. My plan is to raise them together and sell the 2 I don’t want. I didn’t want to sell 1 lone pullet. They’re all adorable though, so it’s going to be hard choosing. Easter eggers have less accurate vent sexing than other breeds, so having one extra isn’t a bad thing.

My Easter eggers are flightier than my other breeds. I only have Marans, orpingtons, and Easter eggers.

Back
Top Bottom