Does anybody have pics of chicken innards?Can't figure out what thisis

Smokin Silkies

formerly browneyebuttafly
11 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Western, PA
I got the heart and the stomach/gizzards, lungs are out and the liver. There are 2 oval things that I think are the kidneys, but my husband disagrees. We are beginners and just butchered our first chicken....a mean rooster. These things are whitish and very soft and are a perfect oval shape? Are they the kidneys or what? Thanks

They are the things responsible for making your bird a rooster, and making him mean.
wink.png
The kidneys are smaller, reddish-brown, and lie further down the backbone. I find them more difficult to remove from the pelvis.

I didn't gut him. My husband says that they weren't attached to anything...that they just 'fell out'? They are decent sized for the small chicken. I cut one in half and it just looked like fat, very soft and mushy like. I think they were the testes. After I posted this I went out and looked again and then I thought it might be that....lol If thats what they were, they were pretty big for a 5 month old silkie bantam...lol

Yup, those are testes. The kidneys, in chickens, don't look like mammal kidneys. The kidneys are the reddish-brown, liverish-looking tissue inside the lower back portion. There's also a small round dark reddish-brown organ, sort of a little ball. That's the spleen.

Yes Tim, thats what they looked like. I guess they turned a whitish color after the blood drained. I didn't get to them for 20 minutes or so after 'the kill'. So are they the testes?

Quote:
Sorry, yes. Or, at least that is what I told when I posted the picture and asked what they were.

Back
Top Bottom