does anyone decrow? recommendation?

shabbychick23

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 11, 2013
I have the friendliest roosters that I don't wish to get rid of but unfortunately I'm not zoned for them only females can this be done decrowing is it recommended I work in a veterinary hospital but no one does Avians medicine in my practice.
shabbychick23

I have the friendliest roosters that I don't wish to get rid of but unfortunately I'm not zoned for them only females can this be done decrowing is it recommended I work in a veterinary hospital but no one does Avians medicine in my practice.
shabbychick23
Try the decapitation procedure, it works every time and much less expensive than having a vet perform a voice chord procedure. The fringe benefit is quite tasty.

shabbychick23
How old are they.....and are they already crowing? If they aren't crowing yet, caponizing(castration) would be an option since it normally prevents crowing, but you would want somebody very experienced and preferably with electrocautery doing it if they are over 10 weeks old because of the bleeding risk.

Even if your vets weren't trained in caponizing, I bet they could perform the procedure, since many people on this forum(myself included) caponize their own cockerels to raise for meat.

Question: does caponising work on cockerels that have just begun crowing?

One of mine started at age nine weeks! Now we have three others crowing, but not as loud as him--all the same age. They hatched in mid June so must be five months old. They are LF Orpingtons, very tame, and we'd love to keep them. Same problem: can only keep hens in this area due to noise.

Did you see the ad about the de-crowed rooster and the video of one crowing quietly?

Many thanks.

Liz

Decrowing is a complicated, expensive and ( for the bird) dangerous procedure. Birds don't have vocal chords at the top of the throat like we do, instead their crow comes from their trachea down inside their chest, so the procedure is difficult to perform and have the bird survive.

Back
Top Bottom