Does anyone else Free Range?

We let ours out in the morning and they do what they do until the evening. The turkeys don't like to go to the coop, but the chickens are always in the coop when we come to lock it down.

We let ours out in the morning and they do what they do until the evening. The turkeys don't like to go to the coop, but the chickens are always in the coop when we come to lock it down.
In my mixed flock, the chickens like to go to bed at the fist hint of decreasing evening light, and the heritage turkeys come in a short time later, when the light level is decreased by about 1/2. The turkeys definitely have a weaker roosting instinct than the chickens, but mine still go in to their coop quite reliably. But I've heard of lots of people having problems with their turkeys staying out overnight. Perhaps raising them in the same brood with chickens has trained mine. (Don't mix chickens and turkeys if you have Blackhead disease in your area.)

When I first got chickens I had them in a coop and run. It is what my grandmother had and what I had seen. I live in a 30,000 acre wildlife area and so predators are more common than not. When I wok up one morning to 1/2 a flock, I determined that I was keeping them in a jail cell and made them sitting ducks. I tore down the fence and that was that.

When you get new birds or chicks, they have a strong homing instinct. I once moved a very large coop 50 feet and at night they gathered where the coop used to be. However, leave them in a coop for a week and they will always come home.

My birds have complete freedom. They have 2 coops (2 integrated flocks) One in the barn, one in a pallet garage I built. I started the winter I believe with right around 80 birds, down to 60 I think, but 100 or so in the brooder. Predators are a way of life here and everything likes chicken. I once caught a possum chowing down on young birds in one of the doghouses. I went 300 yard to the house, got the shotgun, went back out and he/she/it was still munching. The doghouse has a flip up roof and when I flipped the roof up, that possum look up as if I were interrupting it..... Number six shot at close range..... blew a hole through the side of the doghouse,,,

Anyhow, I am a farmer so I suppose I am not close to my individual birds in that there is death around my farm all the time as I raise hogs for food as well and I realize death is a part of life. That said, I believe in freedom, which extends to my birds as well. "Live Free or Die" is the way I look at it. My birds have a good life with no muddy run.

Shawn

Shawn: I've had a black bear tear into my run and reach into the coop with one big hairy black arm in the pop door and just break a few eggs, but I did not lose a bird. I've never been so glad that "nobody was home" and all were out free ranging tucked in bushes, etc while she ransacked the coop! LOL. I resemble your remarks beyond measure and feel...that although free ranging takes on it's own risks it is almost safer than confinement to a run. Some runs and coops are built like Fort Knox...but if you don't have the means to build like that then best just to let them go. ... IMO.

You can really cut that risk by having a few of your own predators on the loose all the time. Dogs are useful in this regard. We have 'yotes, black bear, bobcat, fox, possum and coon here...all the usual suspects. Never lose a bird here due to having my own predator patrolling his own territory. We have the only chickens for miles and we sit in the middle of forest land. Everything loves chicken but you can reduce that menu choice if you just use the dogs for what they were supposed to be used for...farm work.

I wanted to doit with my girls but everything I read said it was too dangerous so I built a run around their coop with a wire top. I felt bad about not letting them roam until yesterday when I was mowing along the fence line and seen 1 of my neighbors chickens dead half eaten in their pasture. .. after that my girls are never getting out of their run:(

I wanted to doit with my girls but everything I read said it was too dangerous so I built a run around their coop with a wire top. I felt bad about not letting them roam until yesterday when I was mowing along the fence line and seen 1 of my neighbors chickens dead half eaten in their pasture. .. after that my girls are never getting out of their run:(

It doesn't have to be that way at all, you know. There are safer ways to free range than just letting them out with a kiss for luck. I've lost one to a predator in the past 10 yrs.

I was kinda hoping my dogs would help, but 1 wants to chase them and the other wants to eat them. I have a litter of foster pups right now im working with them to make a lgd. I might adopt 1 if it goes well. :) im open to any other suggestions if you have any. I only have 3 hens for now and im very attached. It would be devastating to loose 1 that way :(

I was kinda hoping my dogs would help, but 1 wants to chase them and the other wants to eat them. I have a litter of foster pups right now im working with them to make a lgd. I might adopt 1 if it goes well.
smile.png
im open to any other suggestions if you have any. I only have 3 hens for now and im very attached. It would be devastating to loose 1 that way
sad.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bees-key-points-to-successful-and-safe-free-ranging

I read and applied some of Beekissed's advice this past few weeks. One thing I added to make free ranging feel a little safer was using fallen tree branches throughout the range field, like little chicken "bunkers". And they really do run to them if something flies overhead.

Back
Top Bottom