Does anyone else Free Range?

When I free ranged my chickens I never lost any to predators.. except a crazed dog attack.. but only one was wounded and she recovered.

After the dog attack I built them a coop and run.. and kept them in there..... Then I lost nearly all of them when a mongoose got into the coop and they could not get out to escape!!!!!!! So they were in more danger locked up.. then free ranging.

So now my chickens free range in the day.. and I lock them in a super secure, metal reinforced, predator proof prison at night.

With my ducks it was the opposite way around. Kept in the pen and coop they were always safe. But left to sleep out on the island on the pond a python would eat them... and also yet another crazed dog attack wounded one.. which got a broken wing. Sadly the snake took 6 adult ducks and all the ducklings before I found out what was taking them. The rest of the flock were so miserable being penned up.. I gave them to a friend.

So.. free range, or cooped up.. it all depends on the birds and the situation / environment they are in,, and what kind of predators are about.

Yeah, I have 3 bantam Roos. The older one is bigger than the Lil men however he hasn't HALF the colors of the lil men. about a yr btwn them in age. Old man is now more black than anything. The Lil men have NOT grown much in a yr and I am thinking they are mini Bantams? I think it is like some of us are tall, some are short, some fair, some dark, what side of the gene pool the lil boogers swam in. good Lord stirred them through……
lol.png

I've had chickens roosting in a tree about the same hgt, or higher as you have described, for 3 yrs? No problems but-----
I have DOGS though which go crazy if any critter comes near during the night.
ya.gif

Not sure, since areas can have differing predators, what may be lurking, but enclosing your Brooder would be WISE. I agree with Bobbi J on that scenario.

Woke to 9 degrees outside! Kids are enjoying the mini cover I have for them. Keeping water warm so wet down bread, grain, water and feed them at the same time. Watching for layers since eggs will freeze FAST in this weather!!
OH, GREAT news! Eggs from both my younger girls y-day! Wonderful since eggs I bought, have next to NO YOLK color, flavor…..I'm spoiled.
clap.gif

Last edited:
I let my silkies wander the side yard during the day, they're just over four months old, I've been training the Labrador to watch over them, she is a bird dog after all. :-0
She would stop a cat or another dog, we did however have a very close call with a falcon. I was reading the chicks were beside my chair and out of the corner of my eye I caught wings, looked up to see falcon almost in my lap I scared her with my gasp and she proceeded to switch gears and ascend. The dog was on the stoop and she came running too. If I wasn't sitting there the falcon easily would of had lunch. It was a thrilling experience seeing that wild falcon so close beautiful birds!

Last edited:
Man, oh, man Only1, I WOULD BE CHANGING MY PANTS ABOUT THEN!
Grabbing a baseball bat, .22, a pole…..Hopefully the dog was able to figure out THAT was the enemy Momma keeps talking about?
I understand almost any predator but especially aerial ones can become so focused they walk off the pier? * The old saying for Humans; 'So busy watching the ocean we walk off the pier?' **
So busy watching for the chicks, it Nearly, ran into You?
I'm not usually up THIS LATE but horses were moving and one dog barking, wanted to check….
Bad thing about late day naps.

Same thing happened to us in August. Husband, myself, the German Shepherd, the Golden Retriever and probably the ginger male cat were all in the front yard having an ice tea. Watching the flock of 2 ducks, 14 hens. We were sitting under the maple tree and also watching the 4 new ducklings in the baby pool under the tree and up against the wire fence. I stopped talking to my husband and said, "What's that?" A noise. Different than what was going on around us. We both turned to look at the babies and caught a hawk flying away from us over the driveway 5 feet off the ground and landing on the neighbors cattle fence. No telling how close he got to take a look at the ducklings. But thank the Lord he changed his mind.

We have the 14 hens and the 6 ducks free range from 7:00 (when I get up) until it starts getting dark. They put themselves to bed in the coop (re-done horse stall in the barn) We fenced in the yard and one side of the barn where the stall door is. Just livestock fencing. Mostly to keep the 2 dogs, oh, and one little Papillon safe and close to home in the yard. Area is approx. an acre. they have to explore. They mostly like the area front of the house. Trees and a lot of low bushes to go in and out of.

Right now, they're on the porch looking in the windows wanting a morning snack. Pooping on the porch.....my husband hates that.
sad.png

Man, oh, man Only1,  I WOULD BE CHANGING MY PANTS ABOUT THEN! 
Grabbing a baseball bat, .22, a pole…..Hopefully the dog was able to figure out THAT was the enemy Momma keeps talking about?
I think the dog did figure it out she was only ten feet at best away from us, she wouldn't of been in time though, that falcon was fast! I was sitting very still so maybe the falcon thought I was part of the chair. It did completely freak me out, I got out a gasp than froze for a good minute. I would never try to hurt it and I think I scared it just as bad as it scared me. It's been a couple of weeks and I haven't seen it around here again. I think you're right about the walking off the pier, LOL! She must of been very hungry and I think she had a youngster with her. I wish I would of saw her diving in that would of been a sight too!
       I understand almost any predator but especially aerial ones can become so focused they walk off the pier?      * The old saying for Humans; 'So busy watching the ocean we walk off the pier?' **
 So busy watching for the chicks, it Nearly, ran into You?
I'm not usually up THIS LATE but horses were moving and one dog barking, wanted to check….
Bad thing about late day naps.

@TeriHarmon I agree with the pooping on the porch being the downfall of free ranging birds, I have to clean the back porch and patio off every evening after I put the birds up. I think I would like to confine them to my garden area this winter but I haven't quite figured out the fencing.

Same thing happened to us in August. Husband, myself, the German Shepherd, the Golden Retriever and probably the ginger male cat were all in the front yard having an ice tea. Watching the flock of 2 ducks, 14 hens. We were sitting under the maple tree and also watching the 4 new ducklings in the baby pool under the tree and up against the wire fence. I stopped talking to my husband and said, "What's that?" A noise. Different than what was going on around us. We both turned to look at the babies and caught a hawk flying away from us over the driveway 5 feet off the ground and landing on the neighbors cattle fence. No telling how close he got to take a look at the ducklings. But thank the Lord he changed his mind. We have the 14 hens and the 6 ducks free range from 7:00 (when I get up) until it starts getting dark. They put themselves to bed in the coop (re-done horse stall in the barn) We fenced in the yard and one side of the barn where the stall door is. Just livestock fencing. Mostly to keep the 2 dogs, oh, and one little Papillon safe and close to home in the yard. Area is approx. an acre. they have to explore. They mostly like the area front of the house. Trees and a lot of low bushes to go in and out of. Right now, they're on the porch looking in the windows wanting a morning snack. Pooping on the porch.....my husband hates that. :(
Beautiful!

Yes, it is. I'll bet Sharon mcCrumb is one of your favorite authoresses.

I am writing this to report on a predator raid on on my "bullet proof" Little Coop (410silkies) a few weeks back. This coop is raised almost 3' off the ground; it is about 20' from the house, and there is a Nite Guard positioned not more than 10' feet away from it. The front part of the coop is a covered porch sort of area, totally enclosed with chicken wire secured with screws to the 2x4 frame. There is a door between the coop proper and the wire-enclosed porch, and on this evening it was left open, as usual. Except for raptors, there have been no predators sighted on our 2 acres in the last two years, but I've heard coyotes and seen a rare raccoon roadkill in the near vicinity. I think it was a raccoon that scaled the chicken wire and pushed its way through the wire "securing" the eaves. It slaughtered and partially devoured the three young SS I was growing out there. What would I do differently? This was an unnecessary slaughter - entirely preventable.

The greatest threat to my flocks is my own arrogance and laziness, and I need to work on those.

I would pay attention to my dog when she tries to get me up in the middle of the night. She is big, sharp, and diligent, and she doesn't "cry wolf."

I will Redo my lock up door so it is more functional AND convenient - and lock up my fowl every single night without fail; had my birds been locked up, the raccoon could not have gotten in.

Research ways to thwart raccoons. They are more savvy than I, and we all know it. In addition to clever physical deterrents, I am thinking I might use some things like motion detector alarm systems. Anybody have experience with these?

OK, so my dog is it for right now. I shall probably have to learn how to make a dog door for extra large dogs on ehow.

We have had enough of a winter already for me to make some assessments about some of the things I did to get ready for it. It will be a long post, so full of good news, I am hoping it will be helpful to many - as in what works, what doesn't work, what surprises me, etc. Am working on it right now, even as I type this.

Blessings to you all, Laurie in Berthoud

Back
Top Bottom