Does anyone else have bunnies on the way?

Well, I checked her cage this morning, and she had kindled on the wire. She had alos tipped the nestbox over and, though the babies had a little fur with them, they were very cold. She had also hopped on top of them and several were bloody.

I'm so sad. :(

I can breed her again in a week, right? I think we're going to have her outside this time, because we think stress may have partly caused this...

Well, I checked her cage this morning, and she had kindled on the wire. She had alos tipped the nestbox over and, though the babies had a little fur with them, they were very cold. She had also hopped on top of them and several were bloody.

I'm so sad.
sad.png

I can breed her again in a week, right? I think we're going to have her outside this time, because we think stress may have partly caused this...

I'm so sorry you lost the kits :(
hugs.gif
. I agree with showbarnmom, sounds like something caused her to panic and scatter everything. Could have been something as simple as a slammed door or really heavy foot steps, bunnies panic really easily.

Some people will wait a week, some only wait 3 days and others will re-breed right away when their doe loses her kits. It all depends on preference. :) I have tried all three and all produced fine results. If you doe lost condition in pregnancy I would let her gain weight back before breeding, otherwise it should be fine either way. ;)

She probably was scared. She's not used to being indoors, so I may just keep her inside, so she continues to get accustomed to it... I'll also keep some kind of a blanket or tarp over her cage, because it was also seeing people that seemed to freak her out sometimes.

Thanks for the advice, Duckchick2011. I think I'll rebreed her soon, because I want to have sold the kits by summertime. (If do it now, I should be able to sell them in mid-June.)

Well, I guess the only thing to say in this situation is that you gotta learn from your mistakes... I think another thing I'm going to do is buy a good nestbox that she can't flip over.

Sorry to hear that Dutchgirl with keeping her inside still, maybe set up a radio near her & play classical music??? That may help drown out background noises that could cause her a scare. You could attache you current nest box potentially. If it's wood or plastic you can drill holes in the sides & use wire ties or string to attach it to the cage.

So tomorrow my 4 little ones will be 5wks old! 4 Netherland dwarfs, 1 is so dang tiny that everyday with him is a special one- 2 of the 3 so far have already been purchased for pets & will be picked up the day before Easter (I have a bring back policy, that if they no longer want or can care for the bun that they have to contact me to either keep the bun myself or take it & re-home it, that way there are no shelters or woods involved!) Daddy Littleman on the left & momma Sunflower on the right.
Vday babies

My lil Midge.

[COLOR=DDA0DD]Sorry to hear that Dutchgirl with keeping her inside still, maybe set up a radio near her & play classical music??? That may help drown out background noises that could cause her a scare. You could attache you current nest box potentially. If it's wood or plastic you can drill holes in the sides & use wire ties or string to attach it to the cage.[/COLOR]

Thanks! Those are really good ideas -- and we have a Classical station on our radio, too! :)

Back
Top Bottom