Does anyone else use Oxine AH ???

Quote:
We do these same things. I've also read that it can be used in a vaporizer inside the coop if you have birds with respiratory issues.
Good stuff that Oxine!

Holy cow! This thread is well over two years old. Maybe someone could start a new one, and just list a link referring to the old material??
hu.gif

The information may be relevant, but answering an old discussion seems kind of like answering a voice mail that is two years old. The original callers may have long gone . . .

. . . or they may have noticed activity on one of their threads, checked this ancient discussion, and gotten very confused.
wink.png

I agree, bring the discussion back up. Get my oxine from revival with other items. I use oxine for watering in the summer and disinfecting. Good for cleaning around the house too.

Quote:
how would one use it around the house? floors? could I do kitchen counters? (I have granite) and what proportions? I just received my Oxine and am putting it (15 drops to a gallon) to my RIR who is wheezing but has no other symptoms and seems totally healthy except for the faint wheezing. She's only been on the Oxine water for about two days but am hoping it will stop the wheezing. Would an Oxine solution be good to wipe down parrot cages?

Quote:
how would one use it around the house? floors? could I do kitchen counters? (I have granite) and what proportions? I just received my Oxine and am putting it (15 drops to a gallon) to my RIR who is wheezing but has no other symptoms and seems totally healthy except for the faint wheezing. She's only been on the Oxine water for about two days but am hoping it will stop the wheezing. Would an Oxine solution be good to wipe down parrot cages?

Are you putting in the drinking water or are you misting the bird so it can breathe in the Oxine?
I think you will need to mist 3 times a day like one of the orignal posts recommended in order for it to reach the birds respirtory system. A fine mist not a spray.

I like the idea of using on your parrot cages. I never thought of that since it has basically no smell or fumes to it. I have parrots too and that is an excellent idea.

Have a question for anyone that knows. I heard that oxine would kill the mareks virus as well ??

Good to use this on new birds that you are quarantining as well.

I personally don't care if this is an old post, glad this has be brought up again. Supposedly good stuff. I keep a 60ml syringe next to my incubators and after I fill them with water I shoot some oxine in to keep the water fresh. Using a syringe I can get down into the water channels quickly without pouring from a glass etc. I also use a syringe to add warm water.

We have been using Oxine in our poultry barn for over 5 years now and couldn't imagine raising poultry without it. We originally had to purchase it from the UK, but it is now readily available from online US suppliers including Amazon. It's even locally available from breweries, and they have the best pricing as well.

Five years ago, our flock of purebred ducks came down with Aspergillosis. They were all on the verge of dying (or having to be put down) and our last hope was to isolate them to a small tented area and run Oxine (diluted of course) thru a regular store-bought humidifier 24/7 for about 3 days. They were all cured and we still have a few of them to this day! At that point, we started using Oxine on a regular basis.

We use Oxine in 3 different ways. The first and most common way we use it is in a sprayer. (Just a regular sprayer from any home/garden center). We spray down the barn every time we clean a pen or put new birds into an area where other birds were living - even if they only lived there for a few days. Not only does the spraying help with all the dust and dander that is normally found in poultry areas, but it helps the odors tremendously. Anyone who walks into our barn comments on the fact that they don't smell anything, even though there are 100 birds living in there. We try to spray down everything (and I mean everything) at least every few weeks, chore time permitting. If we have visitors to the barn, we spray the bottoms of their feet upon entering.

The second way we use it is in a fogger. After the scare with the Aspergillosis and dealing with all the leakage and breakdowns of the store-bought humidifiers and hand misters, we broke down and purchased the heavy-duty fogger that is specifically sold for use with Oxine. It works incredibly well and has been super reliable for years now! We are very impressed with this piece of equipment and it was well worth the hundreds of dollars that it cost. Whenever we have an outbreak of an upper respiratory infection in our birds (inevitable due to the cool/damp weather we live in), we start fogging every day. Combined with a treatment of antibiotics (and then probiotics afterwards), we are able to cure the sick birds and prevent the spread to the rest of the birds in the barn.

The last way we use Oxine is in the birds' waterers. It works especially well for the outdoor waterers that are exposed to sunlight and start growing algae almost immediately without the addition of Oxine. We don't keep the Oxine in the water all year round, but rather in spurts so it doesn't eliminate all of the good flora in the birds' guts. (Sometimes we put Merrick's ProBiotic in the water instead.)

Granted, we are still learning and tweaking our biosecurty system, but this past hatching season has been our best ever in terms of minimizing deaths due to illnesses to almost zero. We have to believe it is our diligent efforts in keeping the birds' pens & waterers cleaner than ever and using Oxine as part of our regular cleaning regimen.

Back
Top Bottom