Does anyone free-range Araucanas?

instar8

Songster
12 Years
Jun 30, 2011
N.IN
I bought a dozen Araucana eggs online last year, hatched three, the fattest healthiest looking chick died suddenly at 7 days. First time that has ever happened for me! So now I have two adult birds, who, by the graces of the poultry gods, are male and female. They seem to be more or less tail-less, though no signs of facial tufts, and no discernible color pattern. But that is the least of my concerns... I can't let them out!

I guess it's the lack of a tail, which apparently adds the illusion of size to regular chickens, but they seem quite small. To my eye, and i'm very far-sighted, just like a hawk...they are just the size that gets picked off by said predator in my experience. I had two sweet leghorn hens that i acquired fall-before-last, tiny things that laid huge eggs...they both were taken the first month after i let them out in spring.

So if i want to keep Araucanas, they have to be totally enclosed? maybe I'll rethink this...the hen lays the exact same green eggs as my Ameraucanas, BTW. So much for blue eggs!

Back
Top Bottom