Does Anyone Have A Recipe for "Light Bread"?

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
When we were younger, my grandmother always made what we called "Light Bread". I'm sure everybody called it light bread as well huh? :idunno There was no other bread like my grandmother's bread. I remember seeing the dough setting on the counter as she waited for it to rise. She would grab the risen dough and shape it into balls and then place it in the oven. This bread was soooo delicious. My grandmother died about 20 years ago and I have never had any type of home made bread that came remotely close to her "Light Bread". The light bread was more like a large soft roll. It wasn't shaped like a loaf of bread.

Does anyone have a recipe for light bread? I have looked online but the pics that they show for light bread does not look like my grandmother's bread. Perhaps the light bread that I'm thinking about is every day home made bread that people make? My grandmother never measured anything, so there wasn't a recipe. :/

Last edited:
Light bread is not a common term here, and I had to look it up. It seems to mean yeast bread, and is a term used in the southern states. It is not a recipe.

My great-grandmother also didn't use recipes, but thankfully managed to teach us some her cooking techniques before she passed. Everything, was in the dough consistency, the dough would tell you the amount of ingredients you need. What ingredients used, where up to the maker.

Does anyone remember some of the ingredients she used?
Do you remember (or does anyone else) remember if she was a butter, margarine, or lard user? Those will really change the taste of the bread.
Sugar or honey?
What flour types (white, wheat, rye)?
Milk and/or water?
Eggs? (Was the top of the bread loaf shinny?)

Shape wouldn't matter so much for the recipe, as yeast breeds can be shaped as the baker wishes.

To get the closest to your grandmother's recipe, you will probably have to experiment with baking. You can try a simple bread similar in description to your grandmothers, and tinker with it until it is closer.

Last edited:
Light bread is not a common term here, and I had to look it up.  It seems to mean yeast bread, and is a term used in the southern states.  It is not a recipe.

My great-grandmother also didn't use recipes, but thankfully managed to teach us some her cooking techniques before she passed.  Everything, was in the dough consistency, the dough would tell you the amount of ingredients you need.  What ingredients used, where up to the maker. 

Does anyone remember some of the ingredients she used?
Do you remember (or does anyone else) remember if she was a butter, margarine, or lard user? Those will really change the taste of the bread.
Sugar or honey?  
What flour types (white, wheat, rye)?
Milk and/or water? 
Eggs?  (Was the top of the bread loaf shinny?)

Shape wouldn't matter so much for the recipe, as yeast breeds can be shaped as the baker wishes. 

To get the closest to your grandmother's recipe, you will probably have to experiment with baking.   You can try a simple bread similar in description to your grandmothers, and tinker with it until it is closer.  

WOW!! Thank you for taking the time to look that up. That is very interesting. I had no idea.

To answer your question, yes, my Aunt (her daughter) knows the ingredients but again, there are no accurate measurements for anything. All of them baked like my grandmother. I spoke to my Aunt a few weekends ago and she was calling out the ingredients but no measurements. I guess I should at least write the ingredients down and just keep practicing until I get it right.

Thank you again for looking that up for me. I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

And I will do just as you have suggested. :thumbsup

WOW!! Thank you for taking the time to look that up. That is very interesting. I had no idea.
To answer your question, yes, my Aunt (her daughter) knows the ingredients but again, there are no accurate measurements for anything. All of them baked like my grandmother. I spoke to my Aunt a few weekends ago and she was calling out the ingredients but no measurements. I guess I should at least write the ingredients down and just keep practicing until I get it right.
Thank you again for looking that up for me. I appreciate you taking the time to do that.
And I will do just as you have suggested.
thumbsup.gif
It is wonderful that the ingredients haven't been lost! With those, you should be able to figure it out with some practice.

I would love to hear how it goes! And remember, if you aren't familiar with baking try with a similar recipe first. The ingredients measurements (yeast, water/liquid, oil, salt, sugar) are about the same in most recipes. Flour doesn't need to be exact, you just keep stirring/kneading it in till it isn't sticky and doesn't want any more flour.

Last edited:

And I will do just as you have suggested. :thumbsup

It is wonderful that the ingredients haven't been lost!  With those, you should be able to figure it out with some practice.  

I would love to hear how it goes!  And remember, if you aren't familiar with baking try with a similar recipe first.  The ingredients measurements (yeast, water/liquid, oil, salt, sugar) are about the same in most recipes.  Flour doesn't need to be exact, you just keep stirring/kneading it in till it isn't sticky and doesn't want any more flour.

I will surely keep you updated. Thanks!

I would like to know how it goes too
smile.png
. My mother n law makes awesome home made bread but I just can't get it right
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom