Does anyone have Finnsheep?

yoker

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
what are they like? How many young did they have? did you have to bottle feed any?
Please post pics to.

The record for finns is 9 babies they are used to cross with other breeds to increase lambing numbers. I would love to find some as well

I have been emailing back and forth with a woman that has finnish. From what I have been reading, they have excellent fiber, are polled and don't have tails. Plus they are known for multiple births. They can be bred at 6 months old and can feed multiple lambs. The temperments are compareable to babydolls and they are supposed to be easy to handle.
I may be putting a deposit down on 3 ewe lambs. They are registered. And the owner will give me a ram lamb for free. I didn't think the price was too bad. I'm starting out with the white. $250 per lamb registered. They will be weaned and vaccinated and the ram will be free with papers. The colored lambs are quite a bit higher. I think they are $700 per ewe lamb for rare colors like the chocolate.
I need to run this past the hubby yet, but I think my set up here would work out well for what I have in mind. I keep trying to find a livestock project that I can manage and possibly profit with.

The president of the FinnSheep Association lives in my area. I went to see her farm a week or so ago, and I am shocked at how gentle they were- even the rams (although she did raise them to respect her and her space, and not to lower their heads to butt). They are smaller sheep, and they do have large 'litters' (while I was there one ewe had five lambs) and she often supplements the mother's milk with a few bottles a day.

Low birthweights, less likely to need help lambing. Seemed very gentle.

mine died this year
sad.png
they would be good for dairy

Last edited:
I am shocked at how gentle they were- even the rams

That is what the breeder was telling me. She is 110 pounds and does her own shearing. The more I read about them the more I like them. We are going next weekend to check her sheep out and probably leave a deposit.
fl.gif
Husband willing....lol​

Me? I don't know if I will get them I just was reading about them and wanted some input.
I would use the meat and wool and maybe milk them.

If the ewe has large litters, she might not have the milk to spare unless you bum some of her lambs. I couldn't believe the number of lambs the ewes had,... and the one that was giving birth while we were there? It was like a clown car. A very cute, fuzzy, clown car.

Back
Top Bottom