Does anyone know anything about stoneware? **UPDATED-PICS**

Cassandra

Ranger Rick
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
Southwest Mississippi
For my birthday earlier this month, I bought myself a stoneware coffee service from our Thrift Store. I have wanted one for years and years and just happened to find all of the pieces to one scattered around the store.

I got the coffee pot for $4. Set of four cups for $2 and the sugar & creamer bowl for $3. They are really pretty. Tan with two darker colors of brown around the top.

Only problem is, they don't have any markings on them. Now, I'm sure they are not fancy. If they were worth a lot of money, they would be marked with something! But these all have smooth bottoms--don't say anything.

What worries me is, can I actually use these or not? I have seen a few things that are decorative with stickers or stamps on the bottom that say they are not to be used with food or for eating or drinking.

How can I tell?

At the same time, I found a set of matching soup bowls. I think they are called onion soup bowls. They have lids with a long handle on one side. They were the same pattern (a set of 4 for $2, so I picked them up even though I have never made onion soup in my life. LOL)

Safe for food, you think?

Cassandra

Last edited:
You can get a lead test kit at any hardware store. Some red glazes (and colors with red tones like brown, purple, etc) contain lead.

here are pics of it

coffee1.jpg

coffee2.jpg

Lovely Set! If they have a smooth ceramic food safe glaze on the inside you should be ok! McCoy made these years ago , but this does not look like McCoy, it looks newer , just check the glaze and enjoy!

Did you find the lead test kits? They are really easy to use. I've used some on 'silver' jewelry I got on E-bay to make sure the pieces were not lead or contained a bunch of lead. They're just like using pre-moistened swabs.

I haven't been yet. (I don't get much done during the week except working!) I did find that they sell them at Ace Hardware online, so I can check their store. It is a couple of blocks from my office.

Cassandra

Back
Top Bottom