Does anyone know if a pekin & a crested duck can survive in the wild?

andreacroyle

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Florida
I live in daytona beach, FL right near the intracoastal river (brackish water with gators) I noticed two days ago that someone abandoned two young (1/2 size of full grown) pekin and a crested ducks. They are staying in a grassy swampy area that is kind of blocked off from main river. They are super weary of people as I was trying to feed them yesterday. Does anyone know if they will survive there? Everything that I have read lately says that these ducks are bred to be on farms as pets. There are never ever ducks in that area naturally only a bunch of sea birds. Someone already called animal control and they are still there so I assume there isnt too much concern from the "non duck person" that they are there.

Get a friend or friends, some plastic poultry fence, about four temp fence posts, and a carrier (like a large dog crate). Set up a "corral" and get behind them, walk them into the corral. Helps to have food in there - maybe some corn kernels or peas. Once they are in the corral it will be easier for you to snag them.

The friends are to help with the ends of the fence, closing it behind the ducks once they are almost all the way in.

Last edited:
Get a friend or friends, some plastic poultry fence, about four temp fence posts, and a carrier (like a large dog crate). Set up a "corral" and get behind them, walk them into the corral. Helps to have food in there - maybe some corn kernels or peas. Once they are in the corral it will be easier for you to snag them.

The friends are to help with the ends of the fence, closing it behind the ducks once they are almost all the way in.
They are in the water. I checked on/fed them today and I am pretty sure they have their wings clipped. Here are some pics.

Great idea on the kayak! I will have to do that early in the am when no one is around. People seem to be ignorant here and wont take too kindly to me "bothering the wild life" I have a 10ft kayak and think that is a perfect solution! I dont have any friends to help (they are all city folk =) that think I am crazy for even thinking about having ducks in a urban community) but do have a 10 year old that started this adoration for ducks!=) I am not stupid/crazy enough to attempt to get into that gator infested water but will kayak it! Will update. ****PS. If I do get them. What precautions should I take to make sure not to spread disease to my two pet ducks since I dont have a lot of space???

When I rescued a barn cat I brought her right away to the vet before any contact with my cats.

You could keep them separate and at least get a fecal test that is not very expensive in my experience.

A friend keeps her rescues quarantined for a few weeks.

They are in the water. I checked on/fed them today and I am pretty sure they have their wings clipped. Here are some pics.

Even if their wings weren't clipped they most likely couldn't fly. I have a large fish net on a pole that I used to catch a duck. Just wish you had someone to help, any rescues in your area.

Back
Top Bottom